△ chapter 2 - home sweet zombie △

- southern illinois -

quiet country music emitted from a small radio, and soft murmurs from doc and murphy who were playing a card game filled the previously silent home. addy and mack were messing around with each other outside in the front yard, warren and garnett were making coffee and listening to the radio in the kitchen, 10k was sitting on a recliner and reading a metropolitan magazine, cassandra was also sitting on another recliner and occasionally sending glares towards the sleeping phoenix, who was splayed across the couch.

the group's set up was damn near close to perfect, with a fence that was connected to a generator, so when zombies dared to try and climb over, they would be electrocuted and left for either warren or garnett - or anyone who wanted to - to finish them off. inside the house was even better, well, the best you could get in the three year long apocalypse. it seemed to be left untouched by anything when the group arrived, which was another positive. it's a great temporary home, and everyone was pleased with the discovery.

"i will see your vicodin and raise you one tetracycline." doc spoke, adding another pill to his growing collection of meds.

"call." (murphy)

doc slapped down his cards on the table, and he radiated confidence. "three of a kind."

it was murphy's turn to place down his cards, and his mouth pulled into a smug grin. "full house. aces high."

"aw, man. that's five hands in a row." doc groaned, as murphy chuckled triumphantly and gathered up the cards and pills to take into his possession. "if you're gonna continue to use my deck, you need to quit pulling cards out your ass."

"aw, boo hoo."

"hey, shh. hold on, he's back on." garnett quieted the two men, so that he could hear what citizen z had to say on the radio.

"friends, i'm talking about mean weather coming in fast. some reports of tornadoes. find shelter and take cover. it's dangerous out there. more so than usual. now back to the soothing sounds of the apocalypse."

once citizen z finished his announcement, the music resumed and murphy began shuffling up the deck of card. "y'know, after he was so wrong about that chopper, weatherman's a pretty good job for that geek."

mack and addy appeared at the entrance of the kitchen. "you're up."

"all good?"

"peaceful night." addy replied with a nod.

"your stalker said there's a storm front coming in." warren informed. "how's is looking out there?"

addy casually shrugged. "cloudy with a chance of zombie."

warren chuckled and pointed at her as if to say "good one".

"alright, you to go get some rest." garnett said, and the couple happily complied.

warren and garnett headed out of the house to take watch, and phoenix stirred slightly in her sleep because of the sudden amount of talking going on. the blanket she had draped over her body began to slide off, which 10k took notice of. setting down the magazine, he stood up and reached over to pull the blanket back to its original placement.

the small movements that the boy made must've woken phoenix up somehow, because the girl's flame-covered hand shot up and towards tommy, who stumbled backwards to avoid being burned by the fire. phoenix's eyes snapped open, anger and irritation blazing fiercely in each of them. but once she saw who accidentally woke her up, the anger in her eyes disappeared and the flames on her hand were extinguished. yet she still wore an irritated expression.