Chapter Thirty Two

"You'll need to change the bandages every day." Valerie explained to him, "You can take these after you eat." She gave him a small bottle of meds. "the dose amounts are written on it."

"Thank you" Eli put the medicine into his pocket. "Do you know what's going on out there?"

"They aren't letting anyone near it." Valerie started cleaning up the gauze and tools she's bloodied when patching him up, "I don't think she's awake though."

Eli almost asked if she knew what was going on, but he didn't have the energy for it. "I want to go home."

"I'll call a taxi"

He looked at the door, then at her working figure. "Why are you helping me?"

"I've figured out quite a lot since we last met" Valerie answered, "I know the truth and I know there isn't anything I can do to resolve this. Monroe..." She stopped cleaning the equipment, "I know what he is. I know that there's a pack. Ben and I have looked into it. His half-brother is one, we think that's why he was attacked before. And we looked into you. You're with one of them. You knew already didn't you? Before this?" She looked at the wounds on his neck.

Eli nodded.

"Did he tell you?"

"He lost control when we were together. I saw his eyes. That was after I'd seen the scary ones." Eli answered. "He told me after that."

"I've been dating him for three years and he never so much as hinted at something like this."

Eli glanced up.

"Monroe." Valerie answered his questioning gaze, "He knows that I have it figured out, and I'm not sure where we're going to go from here. But no matter what" She put her hands onto his shoulders. "We're in the same boat, so we need to stick together. That's why I'm helping you."

Eli wondered if they'd be in the same boat for very long. He'd already struck a hole into his, and it was sinking. The natural thing to do was jump ship, and he'd go down alone. "I did something unforgivable"

"The love of my life has lied to me through my most vulnerable moments, and he was never going to stop." Valerie made him look up. "People are capable of forgiving a whole lot when they care about someone. I'm going to walk you down to the taxi, you're going to go home, take those painkillers, and sleep. And when you wake up, you can talk to him. Okay?"

"Okay" Eli echoed, not believing it himself. He wouldn't be able to talk to him. He wouldn't be able to face him. Not after what he'd done.

Valerie didn't come in the taxi, but gave him a slip of paper with her number. When he got home the light was fading from the sky. He assessed the windows of the house, spotting Marcus and Jenny in the kitchen before he got out of the car. He rushed past the doorway, shouting that he was home, but not hesitating long enough to be seen. He couldn't handle being questioned right now.

He clicked the lock into place and sunk down to the ground. The puppies all jumped off the bed, rushing to give him kisses and scrambling to claim a spot on his lap. He took out his phone. He hovered over Cameron's name for a long pause, but skipped down to Oliver. He sent a text saying he was fine and at home, then turned off his phone.

Eli ran through what happened over and over.

He hadn't been in control.

But no matter how hazy it had been, he had been able to fight off the effects on him when it mattered. But he hadn't done that. He'd given in. He ran his fingers through his hair and took in harsh breaths. Brown licked the bottom of his chin with a whine.