Rudeness

Many view being rude as something only impolite, unpleasant people would do as a result of being non-empathetic. It often reflects your family background— how you were brought up and how they taught you to communicate.

I do find it weird, that these purest of things can be tweaked yet again for self-benefits. My mother, as an example, has done so.

The effects of the 'new and improved' being rude can be worse than being scolded for the original cause. Somehow, being rude is now due to not listening to orders from parents, using the exact same words they used against you etc. Although I have not gone to the extent of using words like 'jolly well', 'bullshit' or further intense language, what I say seems to upset my mother pretty easily.

I carried my bag which slung lazily across my body while positioning myself in a seat, trying to find a comfortable angle to tuck in. Ah, the smell of breakfast. The chitter chatter of  the other hotel guests reverberated around the dining hall. After all, everyone wanted some free meals to start the day.

As I was just about to put a spoonful of  noodles in my mouth, I felt a warm hand press on my back.

"Loi (the cantonese way of saying daughter), eat some eggs. I got these for you and Gor Gor (the cantonese way of saying older brother) to share."

I dipped my head to look at the big bowl of soup noodles I had scooped for myself. There was no way possible I could fit anything down my throat after this bowl, and I knew how delicious it was going to be. I was not a big fan of wasting food.

I firmly shook my head, and returned to eating.

"Eh, this is protein. You need some protein in you. Eat." My mother immediately switched to a sterner, fiercer look, glaring upon me with dismal.

I was starting to get agitated. I knew what I was doing, when to eat how much, according to how hungry I was at that period of time. However, my mother always forced me to eat more instead, insisting that I did not have enough, then when I gave her the irritated look she would glare back.

Oh, that why-are-you-looking-at-me-like-that and dont-you-know-who-you're-talking-to look.

It's rude to tell someone how full you are. It's rude to feel agitated. It's rude to, for once, not be happy and look sad. Or angry. To tell your mother to finish her food because she took it. To tell your mother to quieten down because people are taking videos.

It looks like many things are rude, now. As long as it's got to do with you telling your mother something how she would tell you to.