The Mysterious Case of a Best Friend Turned Enemy

Start from the beginning

“He just woke up,” Shay said, before walking up the stairs two at a time.

Reggie watched her go, and then turned to look at Grey.

“Hey buddy,” Reggie smiled sheepishly, like the kids that knew they were in trouble.

“What's going on Reggie?” Grey sighed, standing up, even though his legs felt like delicate egg shells.

For a moment Reggie remained still, and then collapsed. Sinking to his knees on the floor, he held his head in his hands.  Running his fingers through what he liked to call his ‘mini-fro’ which to Grey thought looked like a hot mess of curly black hair. This position was oddly unlike Reggie, yet the most like his best friend he had seen in days.  Grey walked from his position over to where Reggie sat and croutched down next to him.

“Tell me,” He murmured. He and Reggie had never needed many words, just a grunt and a general gist always did it.

“Where do I began man,” Reggie sighed.

“The beginning would be a good place to start,” Grey shrugged.

Reggie chuckled.  “I’m a sorcerer.”

Grey paused, looking at his friend. “Harry Potter said what?”

Reggie rolled his eyes. “I wouldn’t be so shocked given what your little boyfriend is.” And he wasn't really, given all that he had seen, and it would explain the fifty million candles and the pentagram.

Gray blanched. “You know about Jasper?”

“Wolf boy? Oh yeah, I know a lot about him,” Reggie grunted. Grey wasn’t sure, but he could detect a small amount of derision from his friend.

“He’s really not that bad,” Grey sighed, folding his legs Indian style on the floor.

“Grey, before we go further, you have to understand something,” Reggie sighed, turning to look at him. “Werewolves like…..Jasper, they’re our enemies.

“What, why?”

“Our species has been at war since we can remember, they want to kill our kind and steal our magic,” Reggie said in one breath.

“That’s not true, Jasper would never do something like that,” Grey jumped up, defending his boyfriend immediately.

Reggie got up, looking at him as though he were strange. “You would defend someone that wanted to hurt me?”

“Jasper doesn’t want to hurt you, and neither do his brothers,” Grey defended. Something about the situation made his blood boil. He found it odd that until a couple of days ago, he didn’t know Jasper. But now, he was defending him against his best friend as though he were a part of his family. He was, Grey decided, Jasper, had in a few short days, come to mean almost as much to him as Sky did; and nobody messed with his family.

“I can’t believe this bro, I thought you over anyone would have my back,” Reggie stated, affronted.

“Oh, so were talking about having backs now, well where the bloody hell were you when I needed someone to “have my back”? Oh, that’s right; you were off gallivanting with your little girlfriend and treating me like I was rubbish,. Grey screamed, his accent coming out with his anger.

“Oh please, don’t act like you weren’t off doing the same thing man,” Reggie huffed. “I’ve seen you with your little dog, what he let you scratch his fur and you decided to keep him?”

Grey glared at him, balling his fist and gritting his teeth.

“Honestly I didn’t really care so much that you were with that wolf, I was even kinda happy for you. But I’m your best friend, and your taking his word over mine.”

Grey paused for a moment, and then he fixed Reggie with an icy, green eyed glare.

“That’s what’s making mad, is it? Well I 'd like to point out that your taking Shay’s word over mine about Jasper, who’s the hypocrite now? But no matter, it’ll all be handled; because I won’t betray my best friend-”

Reggie perked up.

“-because I won’t have one,” Grey snapped, turning and stomping up the stairs.

Maybe Grey was being reasonable, maybe he was being a diva, but the thing that was certain was that he sure as hell didn't care.

He was fuming; both angry and sad at the same time. He was under the impression that he had gotten his best friend back, but all he had gotten was more crap news and even crappier answers. He walked through the house, ignoring the interior in an effort to get outside.

When he stepped into the yard, he realized he had no idea where the hell he was. Damn. He felt something vibrating in the back of his pants and jumped in surprise. He calmed down when he realized it was just his phone, pressing the green button on the touch screen, he raised the phone to his ear.

“Grayson, are you there?”  He calmed as he heard Jasper’s frantic voice.

“Yeah I-” Grey looked behind him as he felt the wind brush over his shoulder. He had started walking down the road to what he only hoped was home.

“Grayson, Grayson talk to me,” Jasper was saying more frantically. The wind was rushing onto the receiver, sounding as though Jasper was running.

“I-” Grey looked behind him again, that was so weird and he couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching him.

“I’m fine Jazz, I-” He started again, but he heard a stick break, and this time when he tried to turn around it was too late.

He felt a hand over his mouth, and a chin placed on his shoulder followed by warm breath.

“Well mate of Drake, I see we meet again, how many times do I have to kill you before you stay dead.”