The Mysterious Case of the Art of Submission

Chapter 9

Wilhelm Drake looked like an idiot.

He stood long after a screeching Grace had dragged her bleeding boyfriend off; simply grinning lopsidedly at him.

“Ummm, thanks,” Grey smiled. He held his hand out to shake, however the larger man just looked it before pulling his bag off his massive shoulder. Their school had been forced to carry mesh back packs to reduce the probability of a school shooting. The mesh netting of the back pack aloud Grey to see what was inside the larger boy’s bag.

Wilhelm pulled what looked like a sandwich out of clear plastic wrapper. Grey hadn’t known that you could fit that much meat on one sandwich. The man started to consume the double-decker with large bites, happening to look up and realize that Grey was still there.

“I’m sorry cub, did you want some?”  He smiled, pointing to his back pack full of everything one would find in a vending machine, where did he keep the books?

“No, I’m good thanks,” Grey smiled. Something about the man screamed menacing and protective. But scarfing down his second sandwich he just looked like- like a huge teddy bear.

He grinned again.

“Your Jasper’s brother?”  Grey asked awkwardly.

Wilhelm looked at him, then reached his hand up and twirled a pretend mustache. “Why ask questions to which you know the answers?” He asked.

Grey raised his eyebrow. He was getting the impression the man wasn’t too bright hitting puberty and the age of six might do that to you though. Suddenly Wilhelm laughed, “I got that from Harry Potter, crept you out didn’t it?”

“Yeah cause that’s what I needed,” Grey scoffed.

Wilhelm looked a Grey with squinted eyes as though his eyes required prescription glasses or the sun was too bright.

And then he said something that seemed foreign to the little he knew about Wilhelm, and Grey was sure it wasn’t from any of the Harry Potter movies.

“Grey, was it?” He murmured between cheeks full of turkey and Swiss, “It would really kinda suck if you didn’t make it this time.”

.

.

 .

.

 .

.

School passed in a blur of thoughts; very confusing thoughts.

Finally the last bell of the day rang signaling that it was time for him to change out of his school clothes and into his baseball uniform. Walking to his locker, passed the crowded hallways he stopped at the metal locker. He hadn’t seen Reggie which was odd being that he usually waited and walked to practice with him. He smirked at the fact that his friend might actually be hooking up the very girl he had been complaining about; or more likely she was introducing him to the world of books as though he were the owl-eyed man.