The Mysterious Case of Sky and Clouds

Chapter 3

The rest of Grayson’s classes seemed to pass like a black and white movie; nothing in detail. He should have been thinking of how to multiply matrixes in Math, or how which birth order was most likely to commit suicide in Psych/Soc; but he wasn’t.

The teacher sounded like one of the adults in the old Peanut cartoons he watched with his sister. Wah wa wah wah.

A part of him hated and loved that Jasper had so much hold on him. He desperately wanted to figure the boy out, but he doubted that complex personalities like Jasper came with instruction manuals. Why’d he have to be so…infuriating? He wanted to strangle him for as many times as he avoided his questions.

He walked into his last bell of the day; Chemistry. However, his chemistry teacher Mrs. Hall had gone on pregnancy leave and left them with a sub for a month. The sub was a short younger woman with brown hair and glasses. She had failed the keep the class in order so now instead of balancing equations and orbital notation they basically had a study hall.

Gray pulled out his play book and started flipping through it, trying to memorize some of the new calls their coach was going to use. He was deeply immersed in his book when he felt a cold breath on the back of his neck. No one ever sat behind him, was there even a chair there?

There was a dark chuckle from behind him, a chuckle he knew anywhere. Oh shit.

“I thought you would be a little more pleased to see me,” Jasper said. Gray turned around in his seat and stared into the boys blue eyes; nope, he reckoned he would never get used to them.

“You’re in this class?” he asked.

He smiled, as though he were being patient with a child, “Well usually, when I come and sit in a class room, I’m in the class.”

Gray thought this over, and realized what he himself had said. Smooth.

“You enjoy infuriating me, don’t you?” Grayson asked.

Jasper just smiled, “Well, your face scrunches up in the middle and it reminds me of a rabbit.”

“Hmm,” was all Gray said.
“No Grayson, I do not enjoy making you frustrated,” he smiled, leaning back into the chair.

“Then tell me something, anything about yourself,” Gray smirked.

“I like apples,” Jasper grinned.

“Personal, Jasper,” Grayson groaned. He looked at the boy and was surprised that his blue eyes turned coal black for a fraction of a second before turning back to cobalt.

“Personal…” the other boy trailed off.

“Do you have any siblings? What are your mom and dad like? What do you want to be when you grow up? Personal,” Gray sighed.