Amnesia

You woke up to the sound of beeping.

You stirred and slowly opened your eyes. You were in a white room, in a white bed, with tubes and wires in your arms. Your body was sore and every breath made your chest hurt. You couldn't move your arms or your legs. You looked around the room. Both tables on both sides of the bed were covered in flowers and cards, all having 'Get Well Soon!' printed on them. There were a few medical electronics and gadgets that were connected to you by tubes and wires. Other than that, the whole room was white and boring.

You had no idea where you were or how you got there. The last thing you remember was bright lights and the sound of screaming. But, you couldn't remember anything before that. What was your name? How did you get here? Did you have a family? Who were you?

Just then, a woman in blue scrubs entered the room. She smiled when she saw you were awake.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Lafayette." The nurse greeted you. "How are you feeling?"

You frowned. "Confused." You said slowly. "Who are you? Where am I?"

The nurse's smile faltered a bit. "I'm your nurse. My name is Sarah. You're in the hospital. You got in a pretty nasty car accident. You've been asleep for a couple of days."

Your eyes widened. Days? There was no way you were asleep for days. How could someone sleep for 48 hours straight? Maybe the car accident you were in probably knocked you out pretty hard.

"What happened?" You asked. "What's wrong with me? I can't remember anything besides the accident."

Sarah looked at you with a sad expression. "I'm sorry Mrs. Lafayette, but you seemed to be suffering from amnesia. You have a minor concussion but it seemed to damage the part of your brain where memories are stored. It'll take a while for those nerves to heal so we don't know if your amnesia is short term or permanent."

You looked down at your hands. "I see." You murmured. You fiddled with your hands in thought. You were trying so hard to remember something. Anything besides the accident. But you couldn't. No matter how much you try, you just can't think of anything else. You know your last name is Lafayette, but what was your first name? Did you have a husband? Children? Where were your parents?

"Your husband is here to see you," Sarah spoke up. "Would you like me to send him in?"

You looked up at the nurse with a soft smile, nodding slowly. She smiled back at you and left the room. You laid back in the bed and tried to calm down. You had a husband. Was he handsome? Was he tall? Short? Thin? Fat? Smart? Dumb? Rich? Your mind was swarming with ideas and questions about this man you supposedly married. Did you have any kids? Were you pregnant and the accident killed the baby? Were you not able to conceive children?

"(Y/N)?"

You opened your eyes and sat up, looking to the doorway. There stood a man, about six feet tall, with dark skin and curly black hair that was pulled back into a small ponytail. He had beautiful brown eyes and was dressed in a wrinkled shirt, jeans, and sneakers. He looked tired but was still extremely handsome. Kudos to past you for picking such a babe to marry.

Your husband rushed over to your side and took your hand, kissing the knuckles and all your fingers. He was murmuring something in a different language that you couldn't understand. It sounded like French. You watched as tears slowly formed and fell from his eyes. He looked back up at you with a smile but it faltered when he saw the confused look on your face. He let go of your hand and sat in the chair next to your bed. He looked up at Sarah as she took out all of the tubes and wires in your arms.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked, his voice holding a thick French accent. "She doesn't seem to recognize me."

Sarah smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, Mr. Lafayette. (Y/N) is suffering from amnesia. We don't know if it's short term or permanent."