You Were Here All Along

"They need to be smart. I can’t be dating an idiot. I want them to be able to stay up late with me wondering about the universe and what it holds. They need to be able to hold their end on an intelligent conversation.” Alex decided, Herc scribbling down smart on his notepad.

“They have to be funny. I can’t date someone without a sense of humor. They can’t be rude jokes though, they need to understand the line between funny and offensive. I just want to be able to never stop laughing with them.” John explained, Herc writing down funny underneath smart.

“I want them to be passionate. I don’t care what they are passionate about, but it needs to be something they would stand for and that they love. I want them to just go on for hours about this thing and watch their face light up with happiness.” Lafayette smiled at the thought, Herc once again writing down what he had said on the notepad.

“I want them to be affectionate. I love being able to just cuddle someone for hours on end and I want them to be okay with that. They need to also not focus on one of us with their love, but equal with their cuddles and affections.” Hercules said, finishing off the list on his notepad.

“So, what are we looking for?” John asked, trying to peek around Hercules to see the list he had wrote.

“We want to date someone who is smart, funny, passionate and loving.” Herc read off, the boys around him smiling and nodding their heads.

“Whatcha guys up to?” You asked, walking into the small kitchen where they were gathered.

“OH MY GOD!” Alex screamed, not knowing you had walked into the kitchen.

“Sorry.” You apologized, watching Alex catch his breath from the scare.

“He’s so jumpy.” John laughed, watching Alex still look around with panic on his face.

“What’re you doing here, (Y/N)?” Hercules asked, only to receive a dirty look from you.

“Did you forget what tonight is?” You asked, glaring at the four boys that sat around the table.

“Shit! It’s movie night!” Laf yelled in realization as the other boy’s eyes widened.

“We’ll set up right now! Alex will keep you company!” John shouted, running out of the room with Herc and Laf right behind him.

“Damn. Sorry we forgot, (Y/N).” Alex apologized, moving a stool out for you to sit next to him.

“Don’t worry about it, you guys get busy. It’s not really that big of a deal.” You shrugged.

“Even if we do get busy, we shouldn’t have forgotten movie night.” Alex mumbled, slouching slightly in his seat.

“If I say I forgive you guys, can we go on like it never happened?” You asked lightly, placing your hand gently on his slumped shoulder.

“I guess that could work…” Alex said looking up to see you smiling brightly at him.

For just a second he forgot you were his best friend and saw you as something more, much more. Before he knew it, you had taken him into a conversation about Professor Washington’s newest assignment for class. He had never realized just how smart you were. Wait, smart? He reprimanded himself for thinking you were just smart. You were a genius and it simply amazed him.

As you passionately explained in great detail what you would do for the assignment, Alex got lost in his thoughts. He didn’t know why he hadn’t seen it sooner? You were perfect for not only him, but his boyfriends too. The new partner that they had been looking for had been right in front of them the whole time.