12

Eli

I just had what was possibly the best sex of my life with the woman in my arms. If I could spend the remaining eight months of my life with her I'd die a happy man.

I closed my eyes trying not to see the hurt in her expressive grey eyes when I wordlessly handed her the shirt or the way her lips tremble slightly before she turned away from me.

Seeing tough Zoe Taylor looking close to tears was something i never want to see again.

She sniffed in my arms.

"What...what are you doing?"

I kissed her hair "hugging you"

She splayed her hand on my bare chest "why?"

I placed my hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her away. I lifted her chin with my hand so she could see I was sincere.

"Will you go on a date with me?"

She narrowed her eyes at me stepping away from my arms "I was going to yesterday remember? But you stood me up. I know now that you were sick. Why didn't you tell me?"

Like being dumped with a bucket of ice cold water the events of last night rushed through my head.

Fuck.

My symptoms were definitely getting worse.

What the hell am I doing here? With Zoe? How could I have had sex with her?. This...this complicates things.

My legs became jelly and I fell on my ass.

"Elijah!" Zoe bent over me her hand immediately going to my forehead.

"Are you okay? Do you need to see a doctor?"

I glanced up at her and the concern in her eyes were almost my undoing "when did you get here?".

The only thing I remember was passing out after taking my drugs.

She looked puzzled but answered "Ava called me last night. You missed football night with the boys and your phone was switched off. She thought you were with me. She was worried when she realised you weren't and I came over as soon as I could only to find you passed out on the floor in your bedroom running a fever. What happened?"

I sighed. I wish I could tell you Zoe. I really do. I desperately need someone to talk to.

"Nothing. Must have been stress"

"Hey" she said softly running her hand through my hair "you can tell me anything. I promise I won't judge"

The compassion and care in her voice was my undoing.

I slipped my arm around her waist placing my face on of her stomach and wept.

I don't want to die.

I want to explore this with Zoe, see where it leads.

I want to have kids. I want to grow old.

I want to live.

Zoe

I was shocked when Eli wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his face on the my stomach.

I was even more shocked when he started crying.

Elijah Hunt. The big bad business mogul.

What is going on?.

I don't say anything, I run one hand through his hair and rub the other soothingly over his back.

He mumbled incoherently as he wept and my heart broke with each sob he let out.