07

AS EACH DAY PASSED, Gabriel fell a little more out of love with Isabel and a little more in love with Nathaniel.

It was Friday, lunchtime, about two weeks after the ceremony. The rest of the station was in full swing, either out doing community service, replacing faulty equipment, waiting at the station for an incident to occur or smashing out rounds at the on-site gym. Gabriel and Nathaniel, however, were hiding behind the firetruck, out of sight from the rest of the squad, sliding their lips against one another's, only stopping to breathe or to look at each other. 

It was an accident. They were meant to be heading to the gym for a session together, but Gabriel remembered a hilarious story involving the truck, the hose, and another probie, and had to tell Nathaniel. Gabriel barely got halfway through the story before Nathaniel had leaned over and kissed him. It was almost better than their first kiss in the bathroom stall; Gabriel forgot that he was even supposed to be speaking.

Over the course of the two weeks, they've been sneaking kisses, moments, touches, longing glances at every opportunity they could. He knew that he couldn't keep this... whatever it was going forever, so he figured he'd just enjoy it for however long it went on for. But, with every single second he was with Nathaniel, he didn't want to let him go.

"Gabriel," Nathaniel whispered, "wait. I gotta ask you something."

Gabriel pressed his lips against the skin of Nathaniel's neck. "Yes, probie?"

Nathaniel shuddered, making Gabriel laugh. "God, that nickname. Stop. Anyway," he said, softly moving away from Gabriel, sitting next to him. Their knees brushed together, sending a chill up Gabriel's spine. "What we have... it's forbidden, you know? We're coworkers, and you're closeted on top of that. But, this... it feels right. There's just something about you that drives me freaking wild. I've never fallen this hard or fast before, and it's a little terrifying."

He chuckled. Gabriel loved it when he laughed. 

"I don't want this to seem like a fling or anything like that, but being public about our... whatever this is, would be scandalous at best, career-ruining at worst. Not only that, it would reflect really badly on the fire station, and I don't want to put that stress on the captain. Do you think we could just keep this under wraps, at least until we figure out what this is?"

Gabriel nodded without hesitation. Their relationship being a secret felt right, moreso for Gabriel than Nathaniel, but the latter didn't need to know that. It was wrong, at least from a superficial level, for them to be seeing each other in the first place. Gabriel also knew that if word got out, it would ruin his chances of becoming lieutenant. Hopefully it's enough of a cover for him to figure out his own marriage.

"Having said that, though," Nathaniel said, looking out towards the fire truck, "I don't want this to feel like some cheap and easy hook up. Do you... do you want to go on a real date at some point? I know what's at stake, so there's no need to stress. I know a really nice discreet place where people won't even know our faces. Er, well, mostly your face."

Gabriel hesitated. He knew that there would always be a chance that someone would see them, no matter how hidden the place was. People might put two and two together and his secret would be outed, especially if the place Nathaniel was thinking of was well known for being a dating hotspot. Everything would come undone. Citizens knew of his marriage, they've seen him and Isabel together in photos. 

But, how could he say no? 

Nathaniel just admitted he had feelings for him, and that he wants it to be serious. He felt like a highschooler being asked out to prom; he felt loved, desired, wanted. Things he hasn't felt in a long time. 

After a moment, he nodded with a smile and Nathaniel beamed, throwing his arms around Gabriel's neck. "I'll organise it, just let me hash out the details. I'll knock your socks off."

Nathaniel went in for another kiss. Without another word, they continued, losing themselves with each other. Despite his lustful kisses and the way Nathaniel seemed to steal the very air from his lungs, guilt was chipping away at his heart. Everything ached. Gabriel was getting far too ahead of himself, and he wasn't sure if there was a way out that didn't hurt Nathaniel.

==========================

Hey hey! Don't forget to leave a comment and a vote if you're enjoying the story so far. Let me know what you think of this chapter by leaving an in-line comment here.

Much love,
J.S x