Dante's Confession

Começar do início

Angelo was contradictory. He said he didn't love Dante, but when Dante had broken the kiss, Angelo had looked disappointed, nonetheless, Dante would forgive him because he found that side of Angelo cute.

It pushed Dante's buttons when Angelo was defiant or tried to hide his lust that was evident from the way he looked at Dante.

As Dante had said, he left. It still wasn't morning yet, so Angelo went to sleep and didn't wake up until afternoon.

***

Dante had kept his word. He'd stopped at Angelo's house every day and left after dinner with a promise that he'd come again.

He hadn't come to the bar anymore, though, which had made Angelo lonely. He'd grown accustomed to having Dante around and observing him silently.

He'd always been conscious of Dante's presence in the room, so now that he wasn't there, it felt empty even when there were customers.

"You've been spacing out a lot lately," Marchesi pointed out. "Is anything troubling you?

"No." Angelo thought about it, then changed his answer. "What does it mean when a person kisses you and then pretends like nothing happened?"

Marchesi replied, "Doesn't it mean that the first time was a prank?" He didn't like the fact that a rival had appeared. He came every night to the bar, yet he'd never seen Angelo being close to any of the customers aside from himself.

It had made him overconfident. He had planned to slowly win Angelo's heart and make him forget the man from his past, but had he known there was someone else with interest in Angelo, he would have come on to Angelo stronger.

Their relationship hitherto was more that of friends', however, that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted to be more than a mere friend to whom Angelo could talk about his problems.

"If the man was in love with you, he wouldn't be able to pretend like the kiss didn't happen," Marchesi went on, shamelessly.

It seemed to be effective, albeit childish. Angelo looked crestfallen while listening to Marchesi. He might have wished to hear something different, but Marchesi wasn't suicidal. Why should he help his rival?

Marchesi didn't know the man, but it wasn't a good sign that Angelo was concerned about the kiss.

"If a person is in love with you, they will be nervous whenever they're near you. Their heart will beat so hard they'll be worried that you'll hear it. Your touch will feel electrifying on their skin."

As Angelo listened, it wasn't Dante's sincerity that he started having doubts about. It was himself and his ability to love someone else besides Dante that made him worried.

Marchesi's description fitted him. His body reacted more strongly than it had in the past when Dante had touched him every chance he'd got.

Now, every time Dante accidentally touched him, for instance how their hands had met when Dante had knocked over his glass today, the part that he touched would tingle and he had to keep himself from begging Dante to touch him more.

"I don't know who kissed you, but he's probably playing with you."

"I know."

"Is he a customer?" Marchesi had to ask. He didn't know why, but it was important that he know the answer. He couldn't leave without hearing it.

"...Yeah..." It wasn't a lie. Dante had come many times to the bar, although he hadn't shown his face around since they'd started meeting at Angelo's house.

"I've never seen you close to any of the customers before. Does he come later?"

"He never comes until late at night."

So that was the reason Marchesi hadn't seen him. It meant that if he stayed longer, he would eventually see the mysterious man.

After a fortnight, Marchesi wondered if the man came only once a few weeks. He'd been at the bar almost every day, but no luck so far.

He was tired of waiting for the man to show up. Marchesi had been coming home in the morning.

Marchesi had stood up, ready to leave, when a man walked inside. This particular man had caught Marchesi's eye because of how out of place he looked.

The bar wasn't shabby, but it wasn't posh, either. It was barely noticeable from the outside.

A better part of the customers were locals, and no matter how he looked at the man, he wasn't local. It was like seeing a millionaire in a grocery store.

As he glanced at Angelo, he saw him freeze.

So, it's him.

Marchesi sat back down. The place was small and quiet, so he didn't even have to strain his ears to hear what they were talking about.

"I heard our boss has been seeing you a lot."