Part - 6

Oh my God! I am in part 6. Just one more to write. Yay! The epilogue is already written. And if you have missed the changes I made in part 1 and 2, go and read it. Anyway, Enjoy:) 

His eyes skimmed over the arrays of fruits that decorated the market in Ileatia. Apparently, Neron had developed a taste for butterfuit.

But every other fruit than the one he came for was there. Aimlessly, he roamed the market. The crowd pushed him and as much as he tried to resist the push, he failed.

Kale groaned. He had to go back to the house he had rented - courtesy of Lord Yithare. Neron was there under the care of Izarre Vohinor, his house owner. She had agreed to care for Neron until he came back. Still, he could not leave his nephew with her for long, her work would be disturbed.

At the end of the street, there was one shop that sold the one thing he had come here for. He blinked his eyes to make sure he was not seeing things. When he was sure he was not hallucinating, Kale strode towards the stall.

The owner cried over the voice of his neighbours. "Three for thirty coppers!"

"Any fruit?" a woman next to him asked, tossing her blond hair back.

The man's eyes raked over her body and he leered, "It's free for you, lass."

From his peripheral vision, he saw the woman clenching her jaw. "I asked," she stressed. "Is any fruit of three numbers is for thirty coppers. I didn't ask you whether it's free for a woman or not."

It was not her voice that made him look at her. It was the strength and the hardness that made him to.

She was not as exquisite as many women he had seen in the court. She was perhaps a year or two younger than him, her body was straight, her skin was dusted with scars and her eyes were plain dark green. But she carried a beauty, he had not seen in anyone. Even knowing nothing about her, he could tell she was a warrior, her scars and her stance spoke louder than she ever could.

Most of all, it was the spark, the life behind her eyes that enticed him. He had seen big eyes applied with khol, whose prime aim was to seduce. But their eyes had not grappled his soul and made him question his existence as her eyes did. By the Spirits! Who was this woman?

By the time he snapped out of his observation of her, half the row was over.

"How dare you?" the man stood up and thundered.

"How dare I what?" the woman asked calmly. There was no sign of agitation on her face. If anything, the corners of her lips had turned above; an indication of amusement. But what she found amusing, he could not tell.

A crowd gathered. No one did anything. The man eyed somewhere behind the green-eyed woman and nodded. Another bulky man stepped out and grabbed the woman's hand. She tried to pry her hand, but the other man was strong.

"Let me go!" she spat, yet, no one came forward.

When the other man began to pull her, Kale stepped in front of her and he released the woman's hand.

"She said you to let her go," Kale said. The darkness that he had tried to suppress for two months seeped into his soul. He knew he would not hesitate to kill anyone who touched a woman without her consent.

"And you are?" the man sneered. "Her knight?"

Still, holding her hand, Kale broke a finger and the man cried aloud.

"Said anything?" Kale asked, trying to contain the madness and the bloodlust to kill.

Perhaps, just once was enough to wake the beast.