Part - 1

The drawn drapes enhanced her brown eyes. Despite the summer, the sky had darkened soon and cool winds occasionally made its entry into the room. The flames flickering in the fireplace did nothing to reduce the anger her face supported.

Her back was erect and her chin was raised. In one hand, she held the armrest of the chair, in the other, a goblet. Eluria was an heir in every way he could never be.

"Why?" her voice was suddenly sharp in the previously still room. "Just why?"

"I said you," he said through his gritted teeth. "That child is not mine!"

The curtains fluttered faster than his heart. When it opened a little, a linen thin pink flower was carried in. Payne, who was recently promoted to the general, bent and picked the flower.

"How can I not believe her, Kale?" She sipped from her goblet. "Give me one reason."

"Can't you believe me?" he asked, sitting up on his bed. "I know about her."

"I do," she said, her tone soothing, the same tone she used when he was a child. "But not in this matter anymore. I know you have been fooling with her for the past six months."

"But I haven't touched her for two months!" he exclaimed. "Ever since I came to know her plans, I stopped seeing her altogether."

"So you have been seeing other women?" she questioned hard.

He rolled his eyes. "Recently? No. I did not."

"Don't use that tone with me, Kale," she reprimanded.

"Help me on this one, Payne." Kale sought for his friend's eyes. The steel blue eyes were calm but tired. Being the stubborn man he was, Payne did not, in fact, refused to call the maids at night to take care of his two-year-old daughter, Marina. His wife, Adrysea, was pregnant with their second child.

"He is telling the truth, Eluria," Payne chimed, gaining her attention. "Kale is not seeing anybody nor did he meet Niasran ever since he came to know her motives."

"And these motives are?" Eluria placed her goblet on the side table.

Payne held her gaze without answering her question. She turned and looked at Kale. "Well?"

"She tried to seduce me to marry her and make her the Lady of Icathus," Kale said.

"Lady of Icathus?" She withheld a snicker. "And how did she think she would accomplish that?"

Kale lowered his head.

The vibrant pulse with which she had entered, slowly ebbed away. A darkness was manifesting around her.

"By murdering me?" she asked. "Or by marrying me off to some noble?"

Kale grimaced. "I don't know that. But she did say something about you not being in the family."

"I presume that's when you snapped?" Eluria asked. "And look at me when you speak!"

Payne coughed lightly. He proceeded to open the restrained curtains, giving him the view of Icathus at night. The stars had marched out and the half-moon was trying its best to shine with vigour.

"Yes." He raised his head. "That's the time."

The warmth in the breeze was good. The rice harvest would be better.

"I see," she drawled. "What is it, Payne?"

Nothing ever slipped from her sight.

"Just that," Payne began, seeking his eyes. Kale nodded. It was not like he loved or liked her. "Niasran was a daughter of the owner of an inn. She is no noble. She had actually called to speak with Kale in a tavern."