Part - 3

It was the end of Autumn that welcomed him to Samariya. Some birds native to the region of Whistling Winds were here, relaxing in their wings in calmer currents. The sun was leaving her throne while the sky was deciding his garb.

Ashris was one of the most important towns in Samariya. That was the first inhabitant area a traveller would encounter when he or she wanted to enter that county through Tantalia. And the trade between Tantalia and Samariya were quite strong.

No one recognised him. Especially in his ragged clothes and unshaven face. His hair reached his shoulder blades, forcing him to tie it with a ribbon. Sweat and grime layered his skin. As much as he hated how he was, this was one of the best methods to stay hidden. He was almost caught once in Tantalia. He was not going repeat the mistake.

"Stop!" the soldier who stood at the entrance of the town said. "Where do you go?"

Kale blinked and then yawned. "I am a mere traveller, hoping to find a place to stay and food to eat. It has been three days since I ate."

"You don't look like that to me." The soldier scrutinised him. "Who are you?"

"My name is Larry Rond, if you are asking me," Kale said, pulling the rag that he wore as a cape. His falchion was hidden behind. "I am from Icathus."

"What is your business here?" he asked.

"Came to..." What would a farmer from Icathus do in Samariya? "Meet my brother-in-law."

"He is in?"

What was that soldier's problem? He was willing to pay, was he not?

"In Teale," he said. Saying Ashris was too risky.

The man was not satisfied, but he nodded anyway. "That would be thirty bronze or two silver."

"Thirty!" he exclaimed. Even Icathus asked only for twenty bronze.

"Yes." The man snapped.

Nodding, he put his hand in his purse and pulled out two silver and pressed it into the man's waiting palm. His pouch was dwindling, but he had so far spent mostly his bronze and rarely silver.

"If you were going to pay in silver, then why did you ask for bronze?" the man asked.

"I had only three silvers and twenty-five bronze with me," he said.

The soldier opened the gate and let him in. Once he was sure the soldier would not throw him out, he asked him, "May I ask, why you were inquiring so much?"

The soldier relaxed. "That's nothing, lad. Two weeks ago a couple of men came in and caused a havoc in the streets and brutally killed a woman from a brothel, 'Golden Rose'."

"Oh!" he said.

"Yes," the man continued. "I bet they still are there. In the brothel, I mean."

As the light faded, many figures dawdled to their homes. Children were chasing each other and some older ones were helping their parents.

"What did you say their names were?" he asked.

"I never said their name," the soldier said. "The word on the street is that their names are Tyson Crow and Warner Rolfe. Don't engage with them, lad."

"Wouldn't do it," he said. Then he paused. Who knew a city or a ton better than a native? "Where do you think would be an ideal place for me to stay tonight?"

"Go to 'Mirelle's'," he advised. "Eight bronze for stay and four bronze for food. Your stay would include bath and washing as well."

Twisting the ring his mother wanted him to have, he made his way into the town.