The Ethics of a Hufflepuff Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Sit," your professor told you. With shaking hands, you pulled out one of the dusty chairs in front of his desk and sat down.

"We're waiting for one more student and then we'll begin," He instructed. "We're just discussing their test grade. You'll be working together."

You nodded nervously.

There was an awkward moment of silence as you observed the blank walls and lack of decoration in the room.

"Er, Professor," You stammered suddenly. "I-I wrote an essay on the goblin rebellions of 289 BC and the rising of goblins in the wizarding community t-to try and make up for my actions... I really was listening, I didn't mean to fall asleep, I had just been up all night-" Professor Binns cut you off.

"Will you show me the essay, please?" His expression was still stern, but seemed slightly more forgiving all of the sudden.

"Right, yes," you cleared your throat and bent down to pull it out of your bag.

As you were searching, you heard the door open and close softly.

"Ah, Mr. Scamander, thank you for joining us," Professor Binns said. His tone seemed to you to be less steely than it was when you first answered.

Apparently the way to Professor Binns' heart wasn't through his stomach, but through an essay.

You straightened your back and handed the essay to Professor Binns. You glanced at the student who walked in; he was a Hufflepuff (you recognized him from the common room) boy who seemed to be slightly older than you (or maybe you just hadn't noticed him before; he seemed very quiet).

Professor Binns scanned the essay. He glanced at Mr. Scamander, as he had called the boy, and said, "Your peer has written an excellent essay on the goblin rebellions of 289 BC. Maybe you should follow her example and spend your free time studying rather than playing games."

The boy blushed. You couldn't help but admire his features as the blush spread across his face. With sandy hair, subtilely playful features, and freckles scattered across his adorably crooked nose, you found him quite easy to look at.

"I-I'm sorry, Professor," He stuttered.

Professor Binns took a deep breath. He looked at you, then at Mr.Scamander. You glanced at the Hufflepuff boy, who caught your eye, and you both seemed to feel the same innate desire to walk out of the room punishment-free.

"I-" Professor Binns started, but he was interrupted by a large crash from the right. His face went red. "PEEVES!" He roared, standing up from his desk and rushing to the door. He paused, looking at you and Mr. Scamander, and said with a slightly disgusted tone, "Just go. We'll discuss this in class tomorrow," Then he rushed out of the room.

There was a moment of silence as you sat in shock. You could just... leave?

"He's just going to let us go?" The boy piped up, reflecting your thoughts. You turned your eyes on him, internally taking pleasure in the fact that he was talking to you.

"I guess so," you shrugged.

The boy glanced at the door. Then, at you. You smiled a little, blushing.

"I'm Newt," he finally said, the tiniest of smiles making its way onto his face.

"(Y/N)," you said with a broad grin. You loved meeting new people.

"You're a, uh, Hufflepuff, aren't you?" He questioned shyly, pink infusing itself into his cheeks.

"Yeah. You are too, right? I think I've seen you around before," you cocked your head.

"Y-yeah." The red on his face deepened. A blush of your own found itself upon your face.

"Well, it's nice to meet you," you said with a smile, picking up your bag and standing from the chair.

"You too," Newt replied, his lopsided smile flashing itself at you. "Oh, er, what books did you use for your essay? I should probably study t-the goblin rebellions, if I want to pass," he joked shyly.

You grinned. "I'll tell you a secret," you approached Newt, leaning in slightly. "I made it all up."

You drew back, a mischievous smirk playing on your lips. Newt looked at his feet and laughed slightly. You found yourself liking the crinkles around his eyes that formed when he laughed.

"I think you and I should spend some time together," he proffered amicably.

You beamed. "You reckon so?"

"Yeah," he shrugged, grinning again. "It seems Professor Binns was right; I could learn a thing or two from you."

~~~~~~~~

Wow??? I actually??? Wrote?? Another part???? That's insane???

Thanks @mylibrary for having Harry Potter so I could read it again, and thanks @harrypotter for getting me in the writing mood™️ again. I'm sure ppl who read this regularly (or did since my last update was months ago, oof) appreciate it.

Fun facts about me: I am a Hufflepuff. I would be a Chaser on a quidditch team. After graduating Hogwarts, I would be a magical herbologist but sometimes pull a Charlie Weasley and do some cool dragon stuff.

Also, I was reading It's a Hard Life to see how my writing has changed and I realized that it's been over a year since I published this??? And I'm like wow!!! That's crazy!!!! Cause I've had so much incredible support for this I thought I'd never get and I never thought this would happen and boy oh boy, does time fly.

I'm staring a book/writing club so hopefully I'll be more motivated to write. If I'm not, dm me and threaten me with some form of torture. I will hopefully write something else. I feel like owe it to y'all for being the best.

Also, once again, thanks y'all so so SO much for winning me the best one shot book in the fanfiction awards. That's seriously AWESOME. I am so grateful to all of you.

Finally, vote to keep net neutrality. Help the environment. Punch a nazi. Remember that men ain't shit. I love y'all.

-Elise/merrychristmooose

also checkout my Spider-Man one Shots ;)))