「 ✩ * º CITY OF ANGELS / IAN KINSLER. 」

IAN KINSLER IMAGINE

" city of angels - for kaytlen "

The news arrived on a snowy Wednesday night. Murmurs turned to conversations, which turned to announcements. Kaytlen tried to tell herself that this was happening, that they would be okay, that she would be okay -- but she couldn't help but remember some advice she'd heard once: you can prepare yourself for the end of the world, but you'll still burn when the sun explodes.

The sun exploded when the Angels acquired Ian Kinsler and Kaytlen, his girlfriend, would have to say goodbye, or good luck or good-something about a situation that was far from good.

From the other room, she could hear Ian's phone begin to ring incessantly. He had taken a shower (trying to ease his mind, live for some peace inside the eye of this hurricane) and she was trying to regulate both her breathing pattern and her heart rate.

It began to become too much and Kaytlen needed to take out at least one of the stimuli from this situation. Her choice was simple -- the phone.

Walking across the hardwood floor of her and Ian's cozy home, she entered the bedroom and picked up the phone, not caring who was on the other end.

"What do you want? Can't you tell things are bad?"

The voice on the other end was, understandably, bewildered.

"Kaytlen?"

Her eyes went wide.

"Justin?"

Then, there was Justin Upton's characteristic laugh. It made her stomach churn, but she had to remind herself that it wasn't out of malice -- it was a little sheepish, concerned, worried even.

(Kaytlen was always good at reading people).

"Yeah, uh, how are you? -- Wait, no, stupid question. Where's Ian?" Justin stumbled through his words, trying to find the most apt way to address the situation at hand (one that he'd helped create, Kaytlen reminded herself).

"In the shower. Yeah, the news and speculation was getting to be a little too much for him." She explained, looking over her shoulder to see if Ian had come out of the bathroom. Kaytlen had heard the shower turn off a few moments after she answered the phone.

"What about you?" The boy in California asked after a beat.

That threw Kaytlen for a loop.