L.

Kellina's P.O.V

"Let's go swimming!" Jamie giggled, grabbing my hand and running towards the water. The sand squished in between my toes. The squelching sound made goosebumps rise over my skin.

"We can play Marco Polo!"

"Agh!" Jamie squealed, running away from the waters edge.

"It's cold on my tootsies!" She giggled, jumping up and down.

"Be careful girls!" Mum called, setting up the umbrellas.

"Quintin come play with us!" I called. He ran a hand through his shaggy blonde hair.

"No thanks," he called, resting on the beach towel.

"Klara?" I asked, giving her the puppy dog eyes.

"Please Klara?" Jamie whined, holding her hands in pleading.

"In a little, I wanna help mumma," she called.

"You're it!" I called, tapping her shoulder and sprinting towards the water.

"Come back!" She squealed, chasing after me. I could hear the water splashing behind me. I tried swimming away from her but the waves were just pushing me back towards her.

"I got you!" She yelled, swimming away from me. I quickly followed in my best dog paddle.

"Come and get me!" She giggled, moving towards the rocks. I pulled her leg towards me.

"We should look at the rock pools!" Jamie smiled, the waves were bopping us up and down.

"Jamie! Kellina! Don't go too far! The waves are really rough!" Mum called. The sound of crashing waves echoed through my ears.

"I wanna see the nemo fishes,"

"It's not safe Jay Jay," I whispered, feeling my heart race. I wasn't a good swimmer and neither was Jamie.

"Please Kay Kay, I want to see nemo," she pouted.

"Okay," I nodded. We both swam towards the rock pools.

"Jamie! Kellina!" We heard a whisper over the crashing waves against the rocks.

"Let's go under and see nemo!" Jamie called.

"Hold my hand," I pleaded. I wasn't confident under the water. Jamie's hands clasped tightly in mine.

"One,"

"Two," I called.

"Three!" We both called. I held my breath and moved under the water. My eyes searched frantically in the rock pools. Jamie was pulling me further down towards them. The waves were crashing frantically against my body, causing our grasp to loosen. There was one final wave that took us apart. I opened my mouth and felt the water fall in. I found my body being thrashed against the rocks. I opened my eyes to find Jamie looking at me from below. Another wave came and smashed my body against the rocks.

I sat at Jamie's grave, tracing my finger over the rocky tombstone. I felt the skin on my finger peeling.

"Happy birthday Jamie," I spoke, trying to keep my composure.

"It's been twenty years since I last saw you," I sighed, placing the flowers on her grave.

"Where'd you go Jamie?"

"Why'd you let go?" I choked, wiping a tear from my eye.

"I've missed you so much every day. It hurts Jamie," I cried, finally letting go. I let my body shake with deep sobs that I've held back for years.