*end of flashback*

"Mason?" Arielle's voice brings me back to reality.

"Mm?" I reply.

"Do you think, um...wait, actually, never mind. It's stupid." She brushes her hair out of her face, looking outside the treehouse at the beautiful nature the forest holds.

"Tell me." I respond coolly.

"No way. It's really stupid, I shouldn't have even brought it up." Arielle keeps her gaze away from me, focusing on a scratch in the balsa wood.

"Arielle." I chastise.

"Fine." She drags out the "e", making me laugh. "Do you think, we can, um, forget what I said the other day when you came to my house?" she blurts. She covers her mouth with her hand and brings her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth.

"Okay." I say simply.

"Really?" Her eyes light up.

"For realsies." I promise, sending her a cheeky smile.

But on the inside, I know I can never really forget

*

I mess around with the fabric of a chair that is coming loose while Arielle picks at her fingernails. Both of us are in complete silence, but it somehow feels comfortable that way.

"Arielle?" I ask, finally breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"Look, I know that I'm not supposed to mention it, but it's killing me now." I blurt without thinking it through. Shit.

"What?" She asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Never mind." I shake my head quickly.

"Mason." She mimics my actions from earlier, speaking to me in a patronizing tone.

"Alright, fine. Did you mean what you said when you told me you fell for me?" I blurt. Shit, what was I thinking? Her face falls and she rocks back and forth even faster than before.

"Uh..." she struggles for words. She finally sighs, raising her arms in surrender. "Yeah. Yeah, I did. But it was a mistake because I know I can never have you, you have Ashley, and you two are perfect for each other. I'm a nerd, you're a popular. We can't be seen together, and--"

I cut her off by scooting closer and pressing my lips against hers.

Arielle Evans

I am cut off by Mason's coral lips pressing against mine. My eyes widen and I nearly choke. Mason Richards, the face of Liberty High, is kissing me. I am kissing Mason Richards. I finally calm down and close my eyes, savoring the moment. Our lips move in sync until he finally pulls away. His penetrating brown eyes stare deep into mine, and I feel as if he is looking at my soul.

"I'm sorry." I immediately choke out, something I have learned to do immediately with all populars.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Why are you apologizing?" His eyebrows draw together in confusion.

"I'm a nerd. You're a popular. Nerds and populars aren't supposed to even talk to each other, let alone k...kiss." I stutter.

"But it isn't your fault." Mason says, clearly still not understanding.

"Whether it's a nerd's fault or not, the nerd apologizes. Never has a popular ever apologized at Liberty High." I explain.

"Okay...but why are you apologizing?" He asks.

"Wait a minute. You actually liked that?" I sputter.

"Arielle, if I didn't like that, I would have left by now. And if I didn't like you, then I wouldn't have kissed you." Mason smirks.

"Y...You like me?” I stutter.

"What's not to like?" He jokes.

"Everything." I reply truthfully.

"Hey. Don't ever say that." He tells me, lifting my chin so my gaze meets his.

"It's true, though." I defend.

"Not at all. You are beautiful in every way." He says nicely.

"No, I'm not." I tell him.

"Roll up your sleeves." he instructs.

"No way." I shake my head rapidly.

"You think I haven't seen them before, Arielle? You might have hidden them well recently, but don't think I've never noticed them before." Mason remarks, and my eyes widen. "Now roll up your sleeves." he commands. I frown at him as I take my sweatshirt to avoid rolling my sleeves up and down. Immediately, my scars come into view, and Mason sucks in a breath. "You have more now." he says. I shrug, tears welling up in my eyes. "Why?" he asks, his British accent clearer than ever.

"It takes away the pain." I tell him, a tear slipping out. "Sometimes, I just feel dark, and I can't do anything about it. This is the only way I feel better."

"No. No, no, no. I won't let it happen." Mason's voice shakes with every word, threatening to spill tears from his chocolate brown eyes.

"You can't stop it, Mason. It comes naturally to me. I'm bullied every single day. I don't get a break. This is my only release from the suffering." I cry.

"No, please, don't." Mason begs, tears finally slipping from his eyes. "Please. I hated seeing you like this, and I hate seeing you like this now."

"I do too, but I can't do anything about it!" I sob.

"I'm sorry." he whispers.

"Me too." I say back. He leans in once again, and I am caught off guard when his cool lips press against mine once more.