{Chapter 32} The Uncoordinated Vampire

Chapter 32

I stared at him and he stared back. I had a bad feeling. What if Vincent found out that I survived his attack? What if he went after Jace or Jonah or Hannah again?

“Nothing’s going to happen, angel. Everyone is safe. Vince is not stupid enough to attack again,” Jace said. His voice lacked confidence. “Next question.”

“Alright, who’s Juliana?” Jace had said that I was nothing like her. Whoever she was clearly broke Vincent’s heart. He wouldn’t have been “trying to save Jace from heartbreak” if that weren’t the case.

“Let’s not talk about anything related to him anymore, alright? I want to forget that night ever happened. He’s irrelevant; he doesn’t exist. Ask a different question,” Jace commanded. I rolled my eyes and threw a pillow at him. He caught it swiftly and threw it back at me. I attempted to catch it too but I lacked stealth, even as a vampire. From my spot of hanging outside down on the bed I fell to the floor with a cry, the pillow on top of me. Jace burst into hysterical laughter. “That’s twice now,” he reminded me, nearly falling off the couch himself from laughing so hard.

“It wasn’t that funny!” I walked over to him and started to beat him with the pillow. He snatched it from me and smacked my legs with it. With all his force behind the pillow my legs gave out underneath me and, again, I took to the floor. I groaned. “I’m just gonna stay here because clearly this is where I belong.” Jace rolled onto his side and propped his head up with his elbow, smiling down at me.

“My uncoordinated vampire,” he said. He reached down and ran a hand along my cheek. Time seemed to stop. All I could see were his eyes and all I could feel was his marble hand on my cheek.

“It’s weird,” I whispered. “I’m so used to you feeling cold.” I placed my own hand over his.

“I’m so used to your cheeks turning bright red when you fail to walk on a flat surface,” he smirked. Leave it to Jace to ruin what could have been a moment. I glared at him. “You aren’t fooling anyone with that glare, Sophia.” I stuck my tongue out at him. Jace grabbed my hand and pulled me up onto the couch with him. I cuddled into his chest, savouring his minty scent. “To think, I could have lost you,” he kissed my hair.

“But you didn’t,” I said.

“But I could have.”

“But you didn’t.”

“I am never going to let anything happen to you. Ever. You’re always going to be in my sight and never anywhere without me there to protect you. I can’t imagine a world without you,” he said firmly.

I groaned. “I’m not as fragile as I look,” I argued.

“Whatever floats your boat,” he chuckled. He touched the chain around my neck and smiled. He ran his fingers through my hair and I closed my eyes. It felt good to have no worries. Well, almost no worries. I still had a bad feeling about Vincent and I didn’t want to brush it off as nothing. I knew Jace wouldn’t listen to me because he wanted to forget that Vince ever existed. I didn’t blame him. I wanted to forget that night ever happened too.  “I almost forgot,” Jace said, gently untangling himself from me and walking over to his bedside table. “I never got the chance to give you your Christmas present.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

“But I wanted to,” he said, hiding whatever it was behind his back as he walked over to me. Jace sat beside me on the couch and kissed my forehead. “Merry belated Christmas.” He handed me a velvet box. I stared at it, then at him. “Just open it, angel,” he nudged me with his shoulder. I slowly opened the box and gasped.