Chapter 9: Strong

December is passing quickly. After saying I love you, Harry and I have been almost inseparable. We have started doing everything, planning everything together, as a couple. I can't believe how fast we realized that we were meant for each other. I'm certain that God had something to do with that. Maybe He is more like my dad after all.

We have ten days until Christmas; not nearly enough time to do everything we want to do together. On an unusually slow day, we spend hours at Sue's Brews. It's my favorite thing to do, just to sit and discover more and more about the man I love.

There, I admitted it. It's not a question in my mind any more.

I love Harry Styles and he loves me.

However, it may take some time to convince the other people in our life that our love is real after only a few weeks.

While sipping our coffees, I ask Harry, "Does it bother you that I'm a runner?" I know we touched on this a bit already. I wouldn't want to give up running, but I would do it in a heartbeat if it was too hard for Harry to handle seeing me doing it.

His confused look surprises me. It turns out he's not confused about my question, but about his own reaction. "I don't know," he finally admits. "I mean, I love that you're a runner. But I assume you're wondering if it will bother me that we can't run together, or that I'll have to watch you do something I can no longer do."

"Exactly," I respond.

"I honestly don't know yet," he admits quietly. After several moments in thought, he finally continues. It sounds as if he's changing the conversation, but his thought process must have brought him to this conclusion. "I think the only thing I can't let go of is my dad's resentment towards me. Our relationship has never been great, but since the accident, it's been almost non-existent." He tells me this in a very matter-of-fact way, but I can imagine it feels much heavier than he's letting on.

I wonder what it would be like for my dad and me to have such a huge obstacle between us. Or my mom. Mom and I have our differences, but we don't exactly have a permanent blockage in our relationship. In spite of his unemotional statement, I think I've hit a nerve with Harry. He doesn't say anything else about it, so I decide to take him at his word and leave it at that.

After coffee, we go Christmas shopping together, mainly so I can show Harry some of my favorite shops in our tiny downtown. I know he's been down here before, but there are a few places that are special to me. The area seems kind of magical at Christmas time.

We happen upon an antique store that I've only visited once or twice. Harry suggests we go in and look around because his Oma is kind of a collector. He wants to find something to add to one of her antique displays. I wouldn't know an antique if it was staring me in the face. As we pass a jewelry display, however, I am captivated by a delicate Celtic knot necklace. I can't stop marveling at how fine the chain is and how dainty the tiny knots are. I tell Harry that I've always liked the Irish design because it's part of my family's heritage. The salesperson offers to take it out so that I can have a closer look. The price tag is staggering, so I simply say, "Um, no thanks."

A few days later, we decide to try our hand at baking gingerbread cookies. I'm glad that Harry isn't high-maintenance, that he enjoys such simple things as hanging out in the kitchen with me.

We've been listening to a variety of music while cutting out the crazy little gingerbread shapes. We have enjoyed almost all of the selections, covering a wide range, including alternative, pop, hip-hop, and some popular Christian CD's that Harry had brought. We've also heard a smattering of Indie, retro, and yes, even some country.