Chapter 18: Provoking

I wake up in the morning feeling a little more hopeful after my cathartic crying session and another good night's sleep

I wake up in the morning feeling a little more hopeful after my cathartic crying session and another good night's sleep. My dad is leaving today so I give him a giant hug and thank him profusely for bringing me to Harry. I ask him to tell everyone that I'm okay and that Harry is going to be okay.

And to tell them I don't know when I'll be home.

A short while after seeing my dad off, Dave pops in for a bit, this time with a lovely raven-haired girl at his side. "Kate, this is Scarlett. She grew up with us."

"And?" Scarlett nudges him in the ribs before I can return any form of greeting.

"And..." he pauses for dramatic effect, "I asked Scarlett to marry me on Saturday." They are both beaming wide. Strange, Harry hadn't mentioned that Scarlett was dating one of his friends, not that it really matters.

"Oh, Congratulations!" I squeal and hug them both at the same time. Mrs. Styles joins us with hugs and greetings.

"Harry told me about you, Scarlett," I smile. "I'm glad to finally meet you."

Dave eventually pulls away and tells us, "We came by to tell Harry the good news." I love the way Dave talks to Harry as if he were perfectly alert. "Harry, buddy," Dave greets him, again giving his limp hand a real handshake. "Came to tell you that Scarlett and I are getting married. Yeah, I know you're laughing inside because you always told me that she was into me, but I was too dense to realize it. Well, you have a knack for these things, man. You finally convinced me to ask Scarlett out, and then you convinced me to marry her."

When I give him a confused look, he continues talking to Harry by way of explaining to me as well. "You knew Kate was the one and you proposed to her before she could get away. It took me far too long to make Scarlett mine, and I'm not waiting any longer."

Scarlett and I glance at each other, both of us a little misty-eyed at Dave's words. I can't help but continue staring at Scarlett while Dave keeps chatting with Harry. She's not at all what I had imagined. I had thought she would be a tomboy after Harry told me how she tormented him. Maybe that used to be true, but now she's more like a cover girl. Her jet-black hair is stunning, and her eyes are the kind of blue-green I would imagine to be the color of a tropical ocean. Her complexion is pale and perfect, and I'm sure that every man she meets notices her unbelievable curves. I can't imagine why Harry didn't fall for her. She seems perfect in every physical way. More than that, she has been such a good friend to Harry. She helped him through the hardest time in his life. She led him to God.

How could he not find all of that attractive?

Then I decide that it doesn't matter. I'm in love with Harry and he's in love with me. Now Dave and Scarlett are getting married. I'm starting to grasp that God must have a way with orchestrating such things.

Scarlett shifts while I'm still staring at her. "Kate, can I come and take you out to lunch soon? I'd love to get to know the girl who stole Harry's heart."