Chapter 19: Waking Up

More waiting ensues, but this time it's not as difficult

More waiting ensues, but this time it's not as difficult. Of course, I would be thrilled if Harry would just hop up on his crutches - or on his own two feet would be even better- and walk out of the hospital with me like nothing ever happened. But I know he's coming back, and that's enough to keep me going.

Late in the evening, Harry opens his eyes again and seems to be looking around a bit more. He looks at me with confusion, like he's trying desperately to figure out what's happening. I try to help him calm down but he looks at me with fear in his eyes.

Doesn't he recognize me?

Then he starts to groan and twitch a little and it really freaks me out. I try to ask him simple questions but he can't quite answer me for some reason. He hasn't spoken yet, which concerns me, but the doctors have said that his abilities will come back slowly but surely. Still, I push the nurse call button because it's unsettling to see him like this.

When Kelli shows up, I am so relieved. "Why is he doing that? What's wrong with him?"

Kelli walks over and starts speaking to him in a soothing voice. "Hi Harry, I'm Kelli. I'm glad to see you're awake. You're in the hospital, but you're doing great. Your fiancée has been waiting for you. She's a keeper, you know." She talks to him a bit more and he calms down, thankfully.

I resume my place by his side, running my hand through his hair as she explains to me that it's very common for coma patients to feel confused and agitated when they're first waking up. He may have a hard time making sense of what's going on for a little while, until he can stay awake for longer periods and begin to communicate with us.

She tells me that the best thing I can do is to just talk softly to him and tell him that everything is going to be okay. Stroke his hair, tell him I love him. Do all the things I've been doing. I can handle that.

Another option, which is sort of a last resort thing, is that she can give him a sedative if he ever gets too agitated or upset, but none of us want him to fall back to sleep when he's just waking up.

I continue comforting Harry as Kelli leaves, assuring me that she will be back to check on him soon. His eyes are fluttering closed and then opening again, but I know he can hear me. His face is relaxed and there's even a hint of a smile in his cheeks. "Hi, Baby. Your surgery is over and you've been asleep for a few days. Your mom and dad are here. They just went to get a snack. They will be back very soon. We'll be here whenever you need us. Don't worry. Everything is all right."

I stroke his hair for a long time, until he drifts back to sleep. When Harry's parents return, I update them on his agitated state and how Kelli told me to calm him down. Then I brush my teeth and resume my position on the tiny sliver of Harry's bed. I soon join him in dreamland.

It's still a little scary to see Harry so confused when he tries to wake up. He's clearly upset and we want to calm him down as quickly as possible. When we're attempting to calm him, we always start with "We're here, Harry, and we love you."