Captain's POV

His face peers down at the port in a position that makes his expression unreadable. The seconds it takes him to reach the seat beside you feels like an eternity. You gently shake Cinder's shoulder to wake her.

Your stomach churns with anticipation. You know you won't be able to handle bad news, but you try to brace yourself for it anyway.

"Mr. Thorne," Dr. Gray finally looks up from his port with a smile.

"I'm happy to say that, against all odds, Crescent and your son made it through the operation just fine."

You exhale. You hadn't realized you'd been holding your breath. Tears of relief begin to fill your eyes.

"I apologize for the length of the operation. Everything took longer than expected. We had a few incidents with the anesthesia and, of course, wanted to be extra careful considering the conditions we were working under. In the end, everything worked out incredibly well."

"Can I go see her now?" You choke.

"Crescent should be awake now, but it'll probably be an hour or so before she becomes fully acclimated to her surroundings and being off anesthesia. I'll escort you to her room."

You rise from your seat and make your way to the door. Before starting down the hall, you feel the cool metal of Cinder's hand on your shoulder. You turn around and find yourself being pulled into Cinder's tight embrace.

"I told you everything would be okay." Cinder says.

"Thanks, Cinder."

She lets you go and starts towards the door.

"Aren't you coming?" You call after her.

"Nah, I Don't want to confuse her. Besides, I don't want to intrude on something intimate."

You nod. "Fine, but I'll comm you later okay."

" You better not forget, Cadet." She calls back.

"I won't, Cyborg Girl."

~

As Dr. Gray leads you to Cress's room, he informs you of more details on the operation and the results. Most of which goes in one ear and out the other.

"Unfortunately Crescent is going to have to remain at the hospital for a day so we can monitor the beginnings of her recovery progress, but I don't think there's anything for you to worry about. After that, she can go home but she'll be on bed rest for another week. You'll have a follow-up appointment after that and it'll be smooth sailing from there."

Dr. Gray finishes up right before stopping in front of Cress's door.

"I've got another patient to check up on, so I'm going to leave you with her alone for a bit. A nurse should be by in a few minutes to check on her. You're free to stay the night with her if you wish, the chairs flip out." Dr. Gray says as he struggles to scan his wrist on the door scanner.

At long last, the door swings open and you see her. She's still lying down with one arm draped over her eyes.

You hear the soft click of the door as it closes.

"Cress." You whisper as you place a hand on her shoulder. She moves her arm from off of her eyes but they remain closed.

There's a long period of silence before she finally speaks.

"Am I dead?" She asks, her voice slurred.

"No, Cress you're okay." You reply. You feel yourself becoming emotional again.

"Oh, Captain." She replies, finally opening her eyes and turning to you. She looks around before speaking again.

"Why didn't you bring Atlas?" She asks.

"Cress, Atlas hasn't been born yet. He's still here." You reply and place a hand on her stomach.

"Oh." She places her hand on top of yours. She looks confused. It seems like there's a lot she want to say but her mouth remains closed.

Some time passes before a nurse scans herself in and begins to check Cress's vitals and incision area. The whole time, Cress continues to look confused. You assume it's the result of the anesthesia. In order to not further confuse her you remain quiet and just let her hold your hand. The nurse eventually leaves you and Cress alone again.

"I'm really tired." Cress whispers breaking the silence.

"It's okay, you can rest, I'll be right here when you wake up." You reply, gently running her hand.

She smile before closing her eyes.

"I love you." You whisper before giving her a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you too." She whispers back before completely drifting off to sleep.

You begin to feel your own eyes growing heavy.

With Cress's hand still in your grasp and the gaping hole in your heart now filled, you can finally rest.

♪♪♪
Song: Mars (Instrumental)
Artist: Sleeping at Last
♪♪♪