Chapter 1: Sydney

Start from the beginning

"Maybe I should ask you, since your boss is incapable of answering a simple question."

"I was only following orders," the man said, keeping his eyes on the nonexistent path. A few miles back, he had stopped following the paved road and drove into an open field, which explained why their settlement wasn't easily found.

I hope the guys will be able to find us. 

Seeing that the other man wouldn't be offering anymore information, she went back to her original target.

"Which brings me back to you," she grumbled, glaring at Carter.

"Why I do what I do is none of your business," he finally spoke, shaking his head. "The only person I'm obligated to answer is our matriarch."

"Your what?"

Glancing back at her, Carter smirked proudly. "We are royalty, cousin. The Moraas will have a kingdom wherever we settle."

Royalty? Matriarch? Kingdom?

Do they have a queen or something?

Shaking off her confusion for the sake of keeping him talking, Sydney went back to pleading for her innocent friend.

"Let Brooke go."

"No."

"She hasn't done anything to you!"

"Not yet," he laughed, the tone in his voice insinuating something that horrified Sydney.

"No. No, no, no. NO! If you even think about touching her, I'll-"

"You'll what?" he asked, entertained by her threatening demeanor. "You know, I've never really been into blondes...too much of our family are blondes...but, she's a looker, and her shade is just a tad darker. I find it...tantalizing, in a way."

His words were like daggers being thrown at Sydney's heart as she saw the lustful way he spoke, and knew what he wanted to do with Brooke.

You'll have to kill me before I let anything happen to her.

"Oh look." Carter said, his smug smile almost audible as he pointed out his window. "We're here."

Taking in the sight of the large compound for the first time in her life, Sydney had to admit that for mercenaries, they seemed to take care of their home. The buildings didn't look as nice as the ones in Galdon, but they were grander than the ones she'd seen in the west. The cool metallic exteriors gave the place an intimating flare, but she knew better than to let anything make her afraid of her enemy.

"Let's go," Carter said, opening Sydney's door and reaching in for her.

Furious with him, she didn't make it easy for him. Kicking when he came close, she grinned when she managed to land a blow to the side of his head. When he gripped his face to try and soothe the pain, she slid past him. As soon as she was out of the vehicle and standing on her own two feet, Carter raised his hand to hit her.

"Ah ah ah, I'm untouchable, remember?" she pointed out, prepared to see just how true that statement was. In Galdon, he had stopped one of his men from hurting her, saying the same thing. Did that rule also apply to him?

When Carter dropped his violent posture, she knew she'd gambled right, but she also wondered what made her so important in his eyes.

"Stop! Let go of me!"

A familiar voice drew Sydney's attention immediately, and when her eyes landed on Brooke, she took off toward her. Two men were hauling her into the complex, but the way they handled her invoked flames of fury in Sydney. They were too rough, showing no concern to the woman's injured leg. She could tell it was causing pain for Brooke, and that made Sydney's indignation burn brighter.

"Brooke!" she shouted, running as fast as she could, but with her hands tied up, her speed was restrained.

That one disability was enough to allow Carter to catch up. and when he did, he didn't hesitate to yank her back.

"Where are they taking her?!" Sydney yelled, catching one last glimpse of the fawn-haired woman before she disappeared from view, blocked by the building she was lugged past.

"To the brothel where all the western woman are taken," he answered, struggling to keep Sydney still as she fought to be free.

Oh hell no.

"Let me go with her," she grumbled, refusing to give up. If Brooke had to be there, she wouldn't be alone. All Sydney needed was time to figure out an escape plan. Unfortunately, it didn't look like she would be getting her way.

Without any warning, two large men had joined them, taking over the duty of holding her back. Straightening out his clothes, Carter nodded at the men, signalling for them to go.

"Take her to Diana," he instructed. "Before she draws any more attention to herself."

"No! I'm not seeing anyone until you let Brooke go!" She did not care if people watched her, she would fight back until her last breath. 

"You don't have a choice," Carter shrugged nonchalantly. "You're going."

Unable to grab him, she settled for spitting at him. Making a noise likened to a growl she dug her heels into the ground as the men dragged her away, but her dark blue eyes never left Carter as he wiped away her saliva, flinging it to the ground.

"You're gonna regret that," he seethed through gritted teeth.

Not as much as you'll regret ever meeting me.

Author's Note:

Hi, lovely adventure junkies! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of "Dawns Break"! I don't have an update schedule, so be sure to add this story to your library, or follow me for updates on how the story is going. 

Until next time! (Also, thanks for your patience!)

-Mac