Chapter 1: Sydney

Shutting her eyes to focus on breathing, Sydney tried her best to drown out the sounds of her abductor, Carter Moraa, but it was proving to be a difficult task. The man's alto voice was piercing in a way that antagonized her, acting as a constant reminder of her new status—she was his captive.

Flashes of the short time she spent inprisoned in New Dawn came to mind, and she could feel the anger welling up inside of her, threatening to implode. Back then, Garrett and his men thought they could save their people by bartering her off to the mercenaries. They learned quickly, however, that a deal made with devils always ends in loss. Sydney was able to evade them then, but just a few hours ago, time had caught up with her.

"We're almost there, cousin," Carter taunted, grinning through his perfect teeth. His light blonde hair glowed in the sunlight, creating a halo effect; the irony was laughable, considering Sydney found him to be more demon than angel.

"I already told you, I'm not your cousin," she corrected, her eyes closing in frustration as she tried her best not to raise her voice. After all, she was still completely at his mercy, and she didn't want to know what would happen if he ran out.

Cackling, Carter wiped tears away from his dark brown eyes before reaching out to touch her face. His fingertips barely brushed her cheek when she retreated from him with a scowl.

"You can't deny blood, Sydney. It never lies," he stated, his tone no longer mocking, but eerily sincere.

"Blood has done nothing for me my entire life."

Nodding his head, she was surprised when he didn't reply, but turned around instead. With this newfound silence manifesting in the car, she was left free to roam in her thoughts, dwelling on the many unknowns she had little power over.

What's going on back home? Is everyone okay? Have they dealt with Denali?

The mere thought of that woman getting away was enough to make Sydney vomit, but she held back the urge, preferring to believe that the Galdeans wouldn't allow that to happen. They saw the footage that clearly incriminated their president and exposed her role in the campus bombing. With all the lives lost in that act of terrorism, there was no way they could just go back to the way things were.

Casey...

When she thought of the westerner that taught her so much about acceptance and opened her heart to feelings she never experienced before, she found her breathing getting heavy. Tears wanted to fall, but she wouldn't let him, choosing to be strong and not assume the worst. She refused to believe she'd never see him again.

...and Jasper...

Right when they reunited, she was torn away from him, separated once again by outside forces. He was and would always be her real family.

Earlier that day, she'd learned for the first time that her best friend loved her, and that his feelings went beyond just a friendship. That truth held enough power to knock the wind out of her, but Sydney tried her best to handle it with grace, giving him the truth. She loved Jasper, but she wasn't sure if her feelings were the same as his, and Casey's presence only complicated things. She knew, eventually, she'd have to figure out who she truly wanted, but that was a headache to solve another day. Now was not the time, especially when more pressing matters were unfolding.

Today, she would focus on keeping her word to Reid, Casey's best friend. When the mercenaries took Brooke from him, Reid made Sydney promise to look after her, and she swore she wouldn't let him down.

"Why did you have to take my friend?" Sydney questioned, her tone showing her anger.

She could tell by the way Carter subtly looked in her direction that she'd been heard, but he didn't say a word. Turning her line of questioning toward the driver, she shifted her position so she could see him better.