Twenty: The Institute

Start from the beginning

Alec took a look at the file before closing it. "It doesn't matter now. There's no justice system anymore. Hasn't been for years. Same with laws and the government. Everything and anything is legal-"

The door beside them rattled, prompting both men to quickly raise their guns. Groans could be heard from inside and shadows passed the window. The blinds were closed so they couldn't see inside and whatever was inside couldn't see them.

"It's locked from the outside. The key is still in the lock," Jace pointed at the door. "Grab it. It could be the master key."

Weapon still raised, Alec slowly crept his way toward the door. It rattled even more now so whatever was inside was fully aware that he and Jace were just outside their little prison.

"If anything breaks out, I got your back," Jace hissed.

"My back?! You should have my front, you idiot. That's what they'll go for first."

Jace rolled his eyes. "Just get the keys. The longer we stand here, the more time we waste."

Flipping him the middle finger, Alec slowly reached out and took the key from out of the lock. Once it was out, he backed up quickly. He wasn't sure exactly what to expect; he almost thought something would break out and attack but that wasn't the case. The growls continued but the door remained locked and the window unbroken.

"That was easy," Jace chuckled.

Alec glared at him. "Speak for yourself. 'I got your back'? Are you kidding me?"

Jace watched as Alec walked away. He made a face of confusion as he followed behind his older brother. "What did I say? I had your back. I only meant that if anything happened, I'd save you."

Magnus was sitting in the computer chair at the front desk when they returned. He ceased spinning and got to his feet. "So? Are we clear?"

Alec nodded. "For the most part. We passed a locked office door with a few Forsaken inside but they seem to be secured in there. Also," he pulled out the key and jingled it with a smile, "it looks like we got a master key."

Clary looked at the key in Alec's hand. "How do you know it's the master key?"

"It says on the key itself. Strange though. How it's just out here in the open like this." Simon took the key and examined it. "I've made some copies of keys in my lifetime and this isn't an original. The original master key would either be up in the big boss's office or in the janitorial room." He looked up from the key to see that everyone was looking at him. "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"What were you making copies of keys for, Simon Lewis?" Isabelle wiggled her eyebrows.

Simon blushed. "No-nothing. I kept losing the key to my front door so I made extra copies just in case. What's wrong with taking a few precautions?"

Taking the key from Simon's hand, Alec led the way upstairs. "I think the fourth floor should be fine to stay in for now. It's not exactly near the top floor or too close to the bottom. It's just right in case we need to make a run for it. Any complaints?"

Everyone shook their heads. They continued to make their way to the fourth floor in silence, listening for anything that didn't seem right for a supposedly empty building. So far all they heard were the hailstones that pelted down on the glass windows and on the walls.

The conference room they chose to stay in was empty as Alec pushed open the large door and ushered them inside. A long black table rest in the center along with many chairs surrounding it. There was a projector resting on the table, untouched, but that wasn't what caught the group's eyes.