001

Why me?

I mean I shouldn't complain, there are worse things in life. I glance down at the coffee stain penetrating the fabric of my white button-up. I sighed deeply, lifting my chin to look up at the ceiling—switching my attention back to the situation at hand. 

I toss the half-empty cup into the trash and rip out a handful of napkins. I dampen the stain, hoping to lift some of it but, it wouldn't budge. I groan out in frustration and order another coffee, trying to ignore the lingering stares from the guests at the coffee shop. I hurriedly slap the cash on the counter and parade out of the shop. 

My morning was off to a great start, I missed my alarm and now I had to worry about getting to work, especially since I was running so late. The building was a block away from me but, that didn't mean I wasn't going to fast walk there. 

Once I make it to the office, I button up my blazer while holding the cup with one hand and trying to tuck some fallen strands of hair behind my ears. I take a deep breath and grab the handle, pulling one of the glass doors towards me to step inside.

"Goodmorning, Tony!" I exclaim, waving at the security guard seated at the front desk. I reach into the front pocket of my bag and fish out my work pass to scan.

"Late again, Kat? I'm surprised he hasn't fired you yet," He joked, buzzing me in for the elevator. I hang the lanyard around my neck and step inside the small box. 

"Third time's a charm!" I winked, watching him shake his head at me with a smile as the metal door closed shut. My smile dropped, my heart beating a million miles a minute as my flats tapped impatiently against the carpeted floor. My eyes shifted up, locking on the dial above the doors while it switched to different floors. 

I jumped as the door chimed, the dial stopping at the top floor. As soon as the doors drew back, I ambled toward the front desk. "Hey, Kare." I greeted. "Is he in?"

Her eyes landed on me, waving while she held the phone to her ear with her shoulder. She twirled a floofy pen in her hand, shaking her head at me. "He was expecting you an hour ago." 

"I know," I sighed, setting the cup down on her desk as I leaned my hip on the edge of it. "But I had an incident at the coffee shop. Minor details." I waved my hand, dismissing it.

"You gotta love coffee runs," She laughs softly, dropping her shoulder and holding the phone with her hand now." So, I had a great time last night with your friend." She whispered, leaning closer to me as she moved the phone away from her mouth. "I think we hit it off. Did she say anything about me?"

"Well, I didn't catch her this morning," I said, "She went to work early, but I'll ask her when I get home." I smile reassuringly.

"Thanks, Kat,"

"Sure, well..." I drag, pushing off her desk as I grabbed the cup once again. "I better get in there before Mr. Thomas's head explodes. You know how he gets. He's like a ticking time bomb." Karen's eyes widen slightly as her smile dropped completely. She shifts her eyes back to her computer.

My laughing stopped immediately, "He's right behind me, isn't he?" She nods trying to stifle a laugh as I slowly turn around.

"Morning... coffee?" I say sheepishly as I offer him a cup of coffee. He glares at me and rips the cup from my hand, "My office, now!" He said firmly. Even though he sounded calm, it still scared the shit out of me. Everything about him was intimidating. His posture, face, and the way he carried himself. 

I nod, not saying a single word as I lead the way down a large corridor. I grip the strap of my bag, the sound of his footsteps making its way to my ears. I stop at the end of the hall and before I could open the door, he pushes past me, making me stumble.