058

Katherine

He wouldn't want you to feel like this. 

I could hear my mother's voice in the back of my head as I sat on the passenger side. Your father wouldn't want you to feel like this.

I couldn't help it. I couldn't help feeling guilty while celebrating my birthday. I agreed to spend the weekend with Jesse, but I could slowly start to taste the remorse as it began to crawl up my throat. 

"I know today is hard for you," Jesse's voice greets my ears as it breaks the silence in the car. I slowly turn to meet his divided gaze, switching between me and the road ahead. "And I know you must be feeling dejected and guilty..." He pauses for a moment, drawing in his lips before turning to look at me. 

The car comes to a complete stop, the traffic light going from yellow to red above. 

"Thank you for trusting me enough to share this day with you." Jesse takes my hand in his, intertwining his fingers with mine. "I promise I won't mess it up."

My lips pull into half of a smile, and I laugh through my nose. "There is nothing you could do to mess it up, Jess," I say softly, watching as he brings our interlocked hands close to his lips—placing a chaste kiss upon my skin. "I know that much." 

Jesse remains silent, bringing our hands below, though never letting go. His eyes flicker back to the road ahead, the lighting changing from yellow to green. 

I lean against the headrest, closing my eyes as I try not to think about my father.

"Did Jacob call you yet?"

My gaze breaks away from the drops of rain cascading down the window pane, meeting my mom's eyes across the kitchen island—a red spatula in her grasp. 

"He texted a few minutes ago," I reply, lifting my chin off my palm. "Something about running a few errands before picking me up." I shrug, glancing down at the plate of steaming pancakes. 

"Yeah, I know," She sighs, picking up on my expression. "They're not your dad's, but they'll do, hmm?" 

"It's fine, mom," I utter, reaching for the maple syrup to drown them. "How's he doing, anyway? Any updates?" 

Mom sighs again, running her fingers through her tousled hair. "Nothing's changed," She whispers, sniffling slightly, and suddenly, I hate that I even asked. My mother hadn't slept since dad was checked into the hospital. I knew last week's news was the reason for her restlessness. "Dylan's there," She mentions. "He wanted to be at the hospital with your dad instead of going to school. I didn't have it in me to disagree." 

I nod as I start to twist the engagement ring around my finger. "I should be there," I mumble, "I'm gonna call Jake, and—"

"Your dad wouldn't want you spending your birthday at his bedside." My mom reminds me, almost shaking her head disapprovingly. "He'd want you to be out there with your friends." 

She was right. I knew she was right, but this year wasn't the same as the last. I couldn't be out with my boyfriend and friends while my family was sitting around, waiting for my dad to recuperate. I didn't have it in me to be so carefree. 

My phone buzzes—rattling against the counter before it lights up, Jacob's name flashing with a text. 'Sorry, bug:( I'm going to be late for our date. I promise I'll make it up to you. Love U'

I shake my head, scoffing as I flip the screen over. "Well, there goes that," I whisper, but mom hears it.

"He's not coming?"