Chapter 1: The chosen one

Castiel Novak had always been the softest and kindest of the royal siblings. He was popular among the citizens of the Angel realm, thanks to his volunteering at the hospitals and other facilities, helping out the injured and the poor as much as he can. He would have liked to take part in the war himself, but he wasn't enlisted as he wasn't qualified enough since he hadn't completed his training at school. Castiel was also the favorite of all the siblings, being the youngest in the family, he was pampered and well cherished. 

Castiel would never understand the reason or need behind the war. Why unnecessarily hurt others and yourselves? Why waste all your resource when you can just go on and live in peace? The waging war had begun when Castiel was just a two-year-old. His mother had died at childbirth and his father took his final breath a couple years later, not being able to withstand the grief of losing the love of his life. Castiel had never known his parents, Michael was the one who raised him and the rest of his siblings, being the eldest at eighteen-years-old when they lost their parents. So when Michael was killed in the war, Castiel was distraught and couldn't control or overcome his grief. Anna, Balthazar, and Gabriel tried all  they could to cheer him up, grieving in their own way, but Castiel could never forget nor overcome the demise of his eldest brother, his father figure. That's when his resentment towards the Demon Realm was born. Yes, he wasn't a big fan of the war but when they took away Michael, it became very personal to him. He had wanted to join the battle despite his inadequacy as a soldier but Lucifer had condemned it, saying the royals must be protected at all costs. So he had to settle with tending to the wounded and injured.

So when Lucifer came back after signing the treaty, Castiel was taken aback to say the least. He was disgusted and appalled to know that the Demons would sink so low.  Someone as the king's personal sex slave? To have one Angel per year to be sent as a slave? The nerve! The Angels were pretty prideful creatures and Castiel would never understand how in heaven Lucifer agreed to such a disrespectful treaty. Even with all of Lucifer's 'It's for the greater good' bullshit, Castiel was still angry and mad about how it all turned out.

Lucifer announced the terms of the agreement to all the citizens of the Realm and also informed that every year, a ritual would be conducted to pick the right Angel of good health and age to be shipped away as a slave to the Demons. Of course, the subjects opposed that but when Lucifer explained to them about the situation and the condition of the Angel realm, with barely any resources to get by, they sombrely agreed to the peace treaty.

The selection ritual started right away and a sweet young angel by the name of Samandriel was selected. Castiel knew him from his school, he was such a kind soul with lots of love to give. The fact that he would have to spend the rest of his life in literal hell made Castiel weep for him. Despite his mother's desperate pleas and tears, Samandriel was taken away to be prepared accordingly to be sent to the Demon Realm. Castiel saw the scene from his balcony, which overlooked the town square and wondered if he'd be the next to go. Although Lucifer said the selection ritual will not include any of the royals, there was still the possibility. What if one day, the citizens grew angry of how pampered the royals were and started to riot? Well, it will only be fair if the royals' were put in the bowl for selection too. Even if he didn't want his siblings to be picked, he still thought that as the rulers of the realm, they must put forth a fair deal.

***

When Castiel woke up the next morning, all the handmaidens and helpers were rushing about as if preparing for a grand celebration. For a second, Castiel thought that losing the war and signing the treaty were all just a bad dream, and maybe they actually won and Castiel just slept through the victory. But as he got refreshed and pulled aside a maiden to ask what the rush was about, rage surged through him. The kingdom was being prepared and beautified for the arrival of the Demon King, so he could chose from all the remaining Angels to take away as his trophy whore.