17 // car chase

Shawn's POV

The past hour and a half has been tense. Skylar, mia, has had her head against the window crying silently, trying to hide her tears. I feel bad for her. From that one time I went into her home alone I could tell how much she cared about her sister.

"I hope she isn't afraid in her new home, like we were at ours," she says, not taking her eyes off the glass.

"What do you mean?"

"Well ever since mom and dad left it's been different. I'm always away, being called constantly to do...work. We live in fear in our own home all because of my parents. It sucks." I could hear her sniffles in her voice and it shattered my heart. She is so strong and brave, yet so torn up inside. Lord only knows the things she has seen.

"She's going to a good home, I promise. We wouldn't have sent her there if she wasn't." She finally looked at me, and I could see how blood shot her eyes were.

"I'm never going to see her again, am I?"

I breathed in to say something, but stopped when I realized it probably wasn't the right thing to say. In the pause she just shook her head and leaned it back against the window. It was as if I didn't even have to say words to hurt her.

"It's for the better, we both know that," I tried to lighten her sprits but I knew it was no use.

Silence grew between us like a thorny rose bush, too painful to see the beauty in. Not going to lie, it was awkward.

However, we only suffered in awkwardness for about five minutes before Mia got a call on her cell phone.

"What the hell," she mumbled to herself while digging through her backpack. "That is my work phone, I thought I threw it away at the warehouse before we left."

She found it and flipped the screen up to answer the call. I was taken aback, I figured she would have an iPhone or at least an android. Definitely wasn't expecting a flip phone.

"Are you kidding me?" She yelled frantically. Who ever was on the other line was freaking out about something, I couldn't make out what but it obviously wasn't good.

"Yes we will. Thanks for the warning Damon." She slammed the phone shut.

"Who was that?"

"That was... an old friend. We need to change routes."

"What? Why?" My voice was full of worry and I couldn't help it.

"They're on to us. They know where we are going and how we are getting there." She put the phone away.

"How is that even possible?! Bullseye and me are the only ones who know that!"

"I don't know how, but they do. We need to change something, quickly." She was digging into her bag for something.

"We are on a straight road, there isn't anywhere to go!" I was frantic at this point too. Who the hell was onto us?

I glanced out the mirror and my eyes widened to the size of grapefruits. Three huge, black vehicles were in the distance, gaining on us. In a matter of seconds they were ridding our ass.

"Shit." We both whispered simultaneously.

Before I could blink, she had reached across my lap and grabbed the steering wheel, yanking it towards her. The car skirted and went off road, straight into a small woodsy area.

"MIA WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I panicked.

"Just trust me. Go as far this was as you can. Fast." She pulled a gun out of her bag and I nearly had a heart attack.

"Can you please explain what the hell is going on?"

"Let's just say my old boss isn't too happy I'm no longer working for him and is trying to find me. He's not going to stop until he has my intestines on a stick." She explained while cocking the gun and crawling into the back seat.

"Cover your ears," she warned while rolling the window down. "This might be a smidge loud."

BAM.

The windshield rattled with the sound of the gun firing out the window. In the mirror I could see she hit the driver side of one of the cars perfectly, causing it to stop.

BAM.

Another car stops as well. Who the fuck was she? Why was her aim so good?

BAM.

Third car stops. I could hear yelling. I pressed on the gas as hard as I could.

"That will hold them off but not for long." She informed me while getting back in the front seat. "I don't know where I hit them, and I'm sure there were more people in the car besides just the drivers."

Eventually we ended up at another road, a busy highway. I managed to worm the Jeep into the traffic, and we were off, going the completely wrong direction and going against everything Bullseye told me to do. Fantastic.

A/N: this was such a fun chapter to write!! I reallllyyy wanted to have a Christmas chapter in time for Christmas, but since it's already Christmas Eve and I need to progress farther into the story, shawn and Mia probs won't celebrate Christmas for a while lol. But there will be one! So there's something to look forward too😂

Merry Christmas everyone!