3 // haunted

Around 6 am I walked into my neighborhood. I walked quickly to my house, careful to make sure none of my neighbors saw me.

As soon as I got to my little house, I slammed my door shut and locked it.

I paced around the living room, running my hands through the roots of my blonde hair.

Please. Have mercy. I have two kids, they need me.

The lady's words haunted my brain. Who was I to place a number on her life? Was it worth my own life?

I scrunched down the wall, and began to cry into my knees.

It was worth Riley's life I tell myself. Riley is my younger sister, and I have raised her my entire life. Mom and dad were never around for the first few years, and they can't do much from prison. If it weren't for her, I probably wouldn't be around to this day. I am alive so she can thrive, so she can have the loving motherly figure she was robbed from. I want nothing but the best for her, which is why I kill innocent people. If I don't do it, then she would have to.

I try my hardest to keep everything from her, the underground, my job, to protect her. The less she knows the better. I don't want her to grow up like I did. I witnessed my first murder when I was six. I committed my first one only four years later. They say when you do things over and over it gets easier, but it doesn't. I still feel the same guilt, the same uneasiness, the same horrors every time I point a gun at someone. It doesn't get easier, I've just gotten better at hiding it.

I sat up, numb from the life I am living, and decided to go to starbucks. I have school in a few hours, and I'm not going to get any sleep. The least I can do is stock up on caffeine.

I walked out of my house and went around back to fetch my bike. It probably wasn't the best idea, considering I drank 4 beers, but I needed to be back in time to get Riley up and ready for school.

I hoped on my bike and drove off, wobbling slightly but still steady.

+

When I made it to starbucks, I put my hood up before entering. At this point, it was just habit to hide my face. I also probably looked horrible, so the hood was a good way to hid how tired I looked.

I got in line, glancing at the menu, and I noticed one of the most popular boys from school was ahead of me.

I'm pretty sure his name was Shawn, but I could be wrong. What I do know is that he is handsome as hell, anyone with eyes could see that.

"Hey Skylar," he greeted me with a sincere smile. How the fuck did he know my name? I've only ever talked to this kid like twice.

"Hi, Shawn is it?" I ask. It was obvious in my voice that I was confused as to why he was talking to me.

"Yeah," he smiled. Why did he just get 10x more attractive? "You know, I come to this starbucks every morning, yet I've never seen you here before. What brings you today?"

"No reason, I just had some extra time before school so I figured to stop by and get coffee." I shrugged. Well, it was partially true.

"Hope I see you again tomorrow?"

Was this kid trying to hit on me? He's so out of my league, not to mention I'm a criminal. This guy had no idea what he was trying to get into.

"Probably not. Hopefully I can sleep better tomorrow," I faked a laugh to make it not awkward.

"Maybe another time th-"

"Shawn?" The barista called. He smiled at me before fetching his drink.

That was odd. What made him want to talk to me all of a sudden? I shrugged it off and ordered my coffee.

If he was hitting on me, why? What suddenly peeked his interest in Skylar Brooks, the weirdest, quietest, loser in school?

+

A/N
GUYSSSS IM SEEING ED SHEERAN TOMORROW OMGGG

also, how often should I update? Once a week? Every other day? What do y'all prefer lol

Follow my twitter @thecityair