"What – what if by some slim chance I am carrying Cade's child?" Faith choked on the last word.

"I don't care! I'll raise it as my own, I will be a good husband to you and a good father to any children we may have."

Tears swam behind Faith's eyes then slowly slid down her cheeks, landing in little droplets on the table. "I can't." She shook her head slightly.

"Why not?"

"I love you John, but not like a woman should love her husband."

"You love him?" The pain in his voice ripped what was left of her heart out.

"Yes." She whispered.

"Why dammit?" John slapped his palms on the table as he stood over her.

Faith jumped at the noise and sudden movement. She shrugged as she looked into his soft brown eyes. She, herself didn't know why she loved Cade. He was rude, arrogant, and an overall ass. There was just something about him that drew her to him, like a moth to a flame. "I don't know why I love him, but I do. And one day you will find someone who will love you the way a woman should love her husband."

"Like the way I feel about you?" His tone was sharper than he meant for it to be, but he did not apologize for it.

Faith looked at the boy seated again across from her. No, somehow he had become a man. He was still very slim but his shoulders were broader, his chest a little thicker, and his face was more angular. He was a very handsome man that had to be turning heads and tripping up hearts everywhere he went. He just couldn't see them with the blinders he had on, thinking he was in love with her.

"John, what you feel for me isn't real, you are too young to understand the difference." He began to shake his head but Faith kept talking. "One day you will thank me for not tying you down, I promise."

There was no use in arguing with her anymore. John got up and walked toward the front door, he stopped midway but did not turn to face her. "Do you want me to go after him?"

"No." After her answer, he continued making his way to the barn.

A week later Faith was sitting beside the fireplace attempting to catch up on her sewing. Of course that could be because she was up before dawn and didn't go to bed until late each evening. It was imperative that she keep her mind occupied, every time she stopped, her thoughts would inevitably turn to Cade. To make matters worse, every time someone came through her front door, she half expected it to be Cade. He even invaded her dreams the first couple of nights after he left. They had been so real, his touch had been warm and his lips so soft against hers.

After the third night though, she stopped dreaming of him but then that's when she started working herself weary so she would be too tired to even dream. Her thoughts about how beautiful it had were interrupted by the sound of a horse and drew her attention to the front windows. Setting her sewing aside, she walked over to see who had come to call. Faith smoothed back her hair, pasted a smile on her face, and went out to greet her visitor.

He had missed seeing her beautiful face and hearing her musical laughter. He had made up his mind, even after talking with Levi, he simply had to have her. The fact was, he would never find another woman like Faith. Even wearing buckskins and her gun, she was amazingly feminine. The recent events didn't matter, they would put everything behind them and start over. The only thing that mattered was making her see that they could be happy together. Yes he had been shocked by everything that had happened and even a little hurt but none of that mattered now. Things would simply fall into place, he felt sure of that. A smile crossed his handsome face, then he began whistling a jaunty tune as he continued on his way to the Second Chance.

"Good afternoon Faith." Stephen Gilford said as he jumped down from his buggy.

"What brings you out here today?"

"I haven't see you in several weeks, and to be quite honest, I missed your company." He smiled, displaying even white teeth.

"Would you care to come inside and have a cup of coffee and a slice of fresh apple pie?"

"I would love that." Stephen said with a smile as he reached into his buggy and grabbed a leather satchel then turned to follow her into the house.

Faith saw the satchel but said nothing as she poured their coffee and cut two slices of pie. "What brings you to the Second Chance this beautiful fall day?"

"Well there are two reasons." Stephen looked over at Faith who raised her eyebrows in question. "I missed spending time with you and business."

Skipping over the first part, Faith went right to the second. "Oh, what business is that?" For the life of her she didn't remember asking him to do anything for her.

"I um, I got a letter from Mr. Jacobs yesterday." Faith instantly sat up a little straighter and put her fork down, giving him her undivided attention. "In the uh, letter, Mr. Jacobs has asked me to draw up annulment papers for you." Stephen finished a little sheepishly, averting his eyes from hers.

"Excuse me?" She was stunned. Cade had actually sent a letter to Stephen asking him to draw up annulment papers. She hadn't thought he could hurt her any worse, but she had been wrong. It felt like someone had ripped a scab off of a wound and poured salt in it.

Stephen reached out taking her hand in his. "Why don't we go for a walk, it's such a beautiful day." He didn't really give her a chance to answer, instead he stood and pulled her to her feet. They strolled up to the creek with Faith lost in her own thoughts.

Leaves crunched under their feet as they walked along before stopping at a bench Faith had placed under one of the huge shade trees beside the creek. They sat there for several minutes listening to the water gurgle as a soft breeze blew. A leaf fell from the tree they sat under, landing in her lap. She picked it up and began tearing it into little pieces, letting it fall to the ground. Looking around, she noticed for the first time the leaves had begun to change in the last week. Bright red, gold, and orange leaves littered the ground flitted in the trees. She loved fall, to her it was as beautiful as spring and summer.

"Why would you marry someone like Cade Jacobs? You deserve someone who would cherish you."

Faith reigned her thoughts back and felt her face color with embarrassment, it seemed like that was a common occurrence now a days. "I would rather not talk about it if you don't mind."

"I - I know, Levi told me. But why? You didn't have to."

"He what? He had no right telling you why we got married!"

Stephen sighed heavily. "He was worried that Cade might want to try and get your ranch at some point in time. Your brother wanted me to draw up papers stating he wouldn't ever try to take your ranch or any money you had and have Jacobs sign them. Then I received his letter this morning." She was so angry, she couldn't even speak. He took her hand in his again. "Don't be upset with your brother, he loves you and only wants to protect you."

"I'm not filing for an annulment."

"What, why?" Stephen was completely confused.

Faith straightened her shoulders and took her hand from his. "I don't want to. I've decided that there are so many more freedoms that come with being married. Besides, I could never get married again."

"Yes you could."

"No Stephen, I can't. No man wants to marry a woman who was married before but isn't a widow."

"I would Faith." Stephen said quickly, then slid off the bench and got down on his knee. "Faith, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife? Before you answer think about it. We would have to live in town because of my practice, but we could come to the ranch on the weekends."