Wake Up Call (Carlos POV)

“Hey sleepy, it’s time to get up.”

I groaned at the voice, burying my face deeper into my pillow. I didn’t want to wake up yet, reveling in the darkness sleep offered me after a long night of studying. The bed shifted next to me and the voice came closer to my ear. “Carlos, get up. You don’t want to be late for your test.”

“Go away,” I mumbled into my pillow, pulling the sides up to cover my ears. I heard a muffled laugh and even through the pillow and being half asleep, I recognized it as Jessie’s. Her fingers touched my hand and managed to pull one side of the pillow down. I turned my head to face her and she smiled at me.

“Why ask me to get you up, if you’re just going to tell me to go away?” she asked.

“So I can see you’re beautiful face first thing in the morning,” I smiled back. She rolled her eyes at me and I had to laugh.

“I see you’re just as cheesy as ever this morning,” she said.

“You do bring it out of me,” I winked and she laughed.

“Well, that doesn’t change the fact that you still have to get up,” she said.

“I’m up,” I said, turning my head in the opposite direction again. “I’m just not up.”

“Well then get up,” she pushed on my shoulder and I pretended to go back to sleep. “Carlos, get up!” I didn’t respond and she stayed quiet as I felt the bed shift again. Suddenly I felt something drop down on my back and I involuntarily groaned. I looked over my shoulder to find Jessie sprawled across my back. “So are you up now?”

“I told you to get me up,” I said. “Not leave bruises.”

“Oh please, I did not land that hard,” she laughed. I shook my head at her before burying it in my pillow again, thinking she would get up and try again. A minute passed and she still didn’t get up.

“Do you plan on getting up anytime soon?” I said into the pillow.

“Not really,” she answered. “I’m too comfortable to get up now. I might just go to sleep.”

“And make me late for my test?” I asked, looking over at her.

“You mean the test you weren’t planning on getting up for anyway?” she asked, smiling and propped up on one elbow.

“Yup, that’s the one,” I answered.

“Hm.” Jessie looked at the wall behind me, pretending to consider the situation. I rolled my eyes at her and quickly turned, taking her wrists in my hands and pulling her over the bed next to me. She laughed in surprise and looked at me, now only inches apart.

“That’s no fair,” she said. “You’re stronger than me.”

“So?” I shrugged, still holding her wrists.

“It’s not fair.”

“And it’s not fair that you’re so beautiful but you don’t hear me complaining, do you?” I answered seriously.

“Cheesy,” she smiled.

“You know it.” I smiled back and then kissed her. Even after almost a year together, I couldn’t get used to it. Everyday I woke up feeling like it was a dream; like I was back in high school trying to figure out what drew me to her so much. How to tell her I wanted to be more than just friends. But then I would see Jessie in the hall or class and she would hug me, kiss me or hole my hand and it would hit me all over again that this was my reality now and I loved every second of it.