Chapter 11 (3/3): TS-19

Start from the beginning

" Doc, we didn't come here for the eggs," she states, making me roll my eyes slightly before he leads us to the big room, me and Daryl behind everyone else.

" What'd you mean we won't be safe at Fort Benning?" he questions as Jenner speaks to Vi.

" From what I heard place got taken over by walkers. Be dead before we're in a mile radius." He nods in acknowledgment as a video begins to play, explaining how we become one of them, making Andrea choke a sob. As soon as it ends he explains that he lost contact with every other facility out there. I look around, feeling off as I notice a clock counting down. I hum in confusion, making Dale look over before questioning for me.

" Dr. Jenner, I know this has been taxing for you and I hate to ask one more question, but...that clock-it's counting down. What happens when it hit zero?"

" The basement generator-they run out of fuel."

" And then?" He doesn't respond, making Rick have known himself. " V, what happens when the power runs out?"

" When the power runs out. facility-wide decontamination will occur." My eyes widen as people start to panic. Rick and a few other go to see where the generators are the rest of us go to start packing. Most of my stuff is packed as Lori gives me my clothes back. I help Daryl with what's left of his until I feel a bit hotter.

" Air conditioning off." He looks over at me in confusion before standing on the bed, feeling the vent. " You're right," he mutters before grabbing his stuff, walking out into the hallway. We walk out, only seeing the lights begin to flicker, making Lori and Carol panic more.

" Zone 5 is shutting itself down. It's not up to me," Jenner says as we walk to the computers.

" Hey! Hey, what the hell does that mean?" Daryl exclaims. He ignores us as he repeats that it's decontaminating. " Man fuck this!" He walks over to the elevator, only for a security door to lock us in, making Carl and Sophia freak out. " You son of a bitch!" he yells, running at Jenner. I jump in front of him, stopping him from choking the scientist out.

" Not yet! This asshole is our only way out and I ain't dying like a bitch 'cause you can't control your fucking temper!" I yell in his face, making him quiet down as I turn to Jenner, my back against Daryl. " What happens in 28 minutes?"

He doesn't respond, making Daryl speak for me. " Answer her dammit!"

He lets out a heavy sigh before answering. " In the event of a catastrophic failure in a terrorist attack, for example-H.I.T.s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." I feel eyes almost bulge out of my head as I remember what it is.

" H.I.T.s?"

" V, def-"

" High-impulsive thermoe baric fuel-air explosives." Everyone looks over at me as I explain with only a few words. " It sets the air on fire."

Full panic mode goes in session. Daryl and Shane try to destroy the door with fire axes, failing miserably. " It's easier for all of us. It's painless. You know what's out there. You know what this does. You've seen it. Is that what you want for your wife and son Rick?"

" I don't want this!!!" Rick exclaims as Shane says he can't make a dent in the door.

" Those doors are able to withstand a rocket launcher."

" Well, your head ain't!" Daryl swings at him. I grab the ax before it's able to hit Jenner. " Remember what I said!" I yell, making him growl before letting go, leaving me with the ax. ' Maybe this is right?'

Daryl's P.O.V

She sits down, her back against the desk as she holds the ax I gave up in her hand, her face contorted in a concentrated manner. I turn around as I hear a gun cock, seeing Shane with a shotgun aimed at Jenner. " How come he gets to kill 'em yet I can't?" I question, making Rick go and stop him.

" We'll never get out of here if you do this. He dies, we all-" he gets cut off by Shane's yelling, shooting every monitor he can until Rick takes the gun away. As Rick starts talking to him, more like begging, I start using the ax Shane dropped on the door. After a minute or so Jenner unlocks the door, the security door disappearing.

" Come on!" I yell. Everyone goes, grabbing their stuff. I look back, feeling like I'm missing something, seeing Carter still sitting on the floor. " 'Da hell you doing?" I state more than a question.

She just gives a shrug, not looking at me but past me. " Hey." Still nothing. " Hey!" I grab her face, not rough but enough for her to look at me. " You ain't dying like a no wuss. Like you said, you ain't-a bitch." She gets out her head, nodding before getting up with me, grabbing her bag and weapons, slinging them across her back with the ax still in her hand. We ride up the elevator, leaving Andrea, Dale, Jenner, and Jacqui on their own.

As soon as we get to the main floor, an explosion goes off, making me cover Carter as she crouches down, holding her head. We both get up, jumping out of the now broken window outside, helping a few others before shooting the few walkers outside. We run to the truck, slamming the doors closes. I look around, trying to get my breathing normally until she taps my shoulder, making me look at where she's pointing.

"They're here." She smiles slightly before muttering, " Not fast enough." We hear Rick yell for us to get down, making us hold our head, pulling them down 'till they hit the dashboard. I hear the explosion go off, making me jump slightly. As it calms down, I look up, seeing the whole building destroyed. As soon as we get out of shock, Andrea and Dale run to the R.V, going inside before it speeds off, the rest of us following. I loosen my grip on the wheel as I relax, looking over at Carter before asking, " Why'd you wanna stay?" She shrugs again, answering with, " I don't know."

" There must've been somethin'."

" I don't know. Just felt like it," she chuckles lightly before joking, " until you said I'd be a wuss if I did." I give an airy laugh, glancing at her before the R.V in front of us.

" You seem like a wuss."

" You must be talking about yourself then Dixie," she jokes back, giving a smirk. I roll my eyes, still looking at the road. " This'll be a long ride." I nod in agreement, knowing that this won't end well.