Chapter 13

====================================================================

Unable to even function, Nikolai decided on leaving the room. His face was a blank facade as he stormed through the living room, completely belying the melancholic swirl of despair that thundered through him. He ignored the concerned stares of everyone, needing more than ever just to collect his thoughts and be alone.

Alone. Loneliness. Was that really something he could never escape? He mourned the bittersweet sensation of finally getting what he longed for, then having it just out of reach. By the time he stopped running, he found himself in the forests of Maryland.

"He doesn't remember me." Nik said to himself, barely even a whisper as he fell to his knees at an old Oak, supporting himself on the solid trunk as he once again, cried for Chance, cried for the loss of everything they shared and experience. Most of all, he cried because again, he was alone.

Nik decided he would not return until night, needing to recollect himself and somehow find a way to get Chance to remember him. He was a man in love, a love so deep and bonding, there was no hope of ever letting go. For the rest of that day, he lay in that forest, just listening to the sound of the world that continued on. At the centre of his thought, to no surprise, was the same man who held no memory of him.

That same man,Chance, was still lying in bed, with the most confused look as the man who left brought a strangely wholesome feeling to him, but he had never met this man before. Hearing Ella as she chased after him, he assumed his name was Nikolai.

"That name? Why do I know that name?" Chance questioned internally as he bit down on his most favourite sushi in possibly,the world. He was beyond famished and managed to do away with four rolls, satiating the hunger inside him. His concerns were even more raised as he recalled the look of sheer pain and misery in Nikolai's eyes and worried that it was his fault.

Gabe and Alicia had family business to attend to and so, bid heartfelt goodbyes to Chance as they hugged him, the concern shamelessly exposed in their eyes. They had come to see Chance as so many things,more importantly, what he was to their dearest friend, Nikolai. Chance had searched for Ella, but didn't manage to find her. Giving up, he sat in the living room with Bryan. Bryan never said much to anyone, but he had come to embrace Chance, much like he would a younger brother. Many times in the short time they met, Chance always made Bryan smile, something that rarely ever happened. At one point, Bryan had even considered taking Chance for himself, but that day they spent at the beach,seeing how Chance and Nikolai looked at each other, he knew there was no way. So, he became the big brother who would protect Chance and Nik.

If Chance knew just how much everyone had fallen for him in their own way.

"Where's Ella?" Chance asked, as he fell onto the couch, resting on Bryan.

"She's gone to look for Nikolai," Bryan replied. Chance nodded in understanding, then,silence befell   the two.

"Bryan," Chance began with a purely lost and curious expression," why do you suppose I can't remember who Nik is? It's like I know his face and I know he's important to me,because I feel it, but how can I forget what he is to me?" Chance slumped, lost for any assumption.

Bryan ruffled Chance's hair," I wish I knew," he admitted, almost immediately regretting it as he saw the look of frustration in Chance's eyes,"but, what I do think, is that in due time, you'll remember.Nothing just comes to an end like that. So try not to worry about it too much okay?" Chance looked into Bryan's eyes and nodded,before pulling him into another hug.

"When did you get so inspiring,oh wise guru?" Chance asked mockingly, Bryan just rolled his eyes and laughed.

They had put on a movie, but halfway into it, Chance fell asleep. Bryan got up,grabbing the phone and dialling Ella.