Prologue

"So you're sure you're ready to tell them?" asked Melissa, she was my only friend in the entire school ever since I came out. She was the only person who saw me for me. She was my only thread for happiness in a school that frosted over at me. Her laugh alone was contagious,I could be mad as hell and she would just giggle like a chime and my day would brighten immediately. Her almost-honey colored eyes always twinkled with mischief, mostly because she always had a comeback. She was the one who suggested  that I tell my parents, hoping they could help me deal with the bullying.

What is the big deal with it? Am I dangling over your shoulder like the tramps who have a ventilation problem between the legs? I don't even talk to you, yet you have every reason in the world to hate me. I am of course talking about the football team. Dunce pricks.

"Yes, Meli, they need to know. Besides, I've been saving enough money as far back as I can remember." I replied truthfully. I had been working since Junior year, fearing the worst out of my parents, I set up a private account that wired my pay from work to it. I should have more than enough by now to set myself up. I pulled out my phone to check the time, my heartstrings, plucking at the picture of Times Square. Yes, as cliché as it is, that has always been and forever will be the dream. New York City, the Mecca of Music. If only my parents could see how much it meant to me, but no.

" Get a proper job," he says, " be a doctor," he says. He can't realize how much music means to me, why I seek refuge in the speakers of my headphones.

As we walked down the lockers, I  registered the resounding 'clang' before I realized my head had been slammed into the lockers by none other than Lance, the quarterback. It was a usual thing, but I just bore it all.

"Fag." he muttered.

"Your mom's cock hair." I spat back. He punched me in the side. I groaned in pain and annoyance,since the last bruise was about to heal. As wearing as this encounter is, I can't resist making comebacks.

"You better watch your mouth, queerdo." He sneered. I saw the disdain and violence in his mocha brown eyes.

"I should, God knows where your weenis has been." I writhed out of his grasp and sweep-kicked him,giving me enough time to grab Melissa and run like a hooker on heels. It was already getting late as the sun set.

I said goodbye to Melissa and went home,saying hello to my parents and going upstairs to psyche myself up. What's the worst that could happen? My packed suitcase called to me, reminding me why

I was freaking out like Paris Hilton in K-Mart. Mustering up the courage, I walked down the stairs.

My parents were cuddled on the couch, watching a movie.

"Mom? Dad? Can I talk to you for a second?" They turned off the television, focusing all their attention on me.

"Sure son, what is it you want?" asked my father. Despite his salt-and-pepper hair,he never failed to look a day less than 30.

"Do you promise to love me? No matter what?" my mother's eyes, my hazel eyes, twinkled with mischief.

"Chance, you came out of my vagina. I'll be damned if i don't love you." I cringed.

"Ahh! Too much information. I'm trying to be serious." They agreed to behave and I composed myself.

"I'm gay."

Something flashed in my father's eyes before I could really see. He then laughed and patted my shoulder.My mother left the room,without a word.

"That's really funny son."

"But dad,I-"

"You're just curious,"

"Um,dad-"

"It's all just a phase-"

"DAD! I'M GAY! I like penis." I yelled back,getting the back of his hand and a resounding 'clap' through the house.

"Don't talk to me in that tone!" His once gentle brown eyes were now dark with anger,coldness and disdain. "No son of mine is gay!" Of course I expected it, but that never meant that I wouldn't hurt. He looked at me with absolute ice. Feeling my heart stiffen and stop.

"One minute,after that,I don't want to ever see you in this house again." I blanked my face and nodded,while my heart shattered audibly,to me at least. I went upstairs and grabbed my suitcase,already filled with my clothes and electronics, I grabbed my coat,stuffing my phone and wallet into it. I walked down the stairs and on my way out the door,my mother caught my eyes,looking like a deer in the headlights.

"I guess I'm adopted then." I seethed,venom dripping from every word. My mother caught wind of the meaning and just hung her head. I took my car keys and stormed out the door,slamming it so the house shook. I hopped into the car and slammed the pedal,tearing out of my life. Where will I go? I don't know. Will it be better? Anything is better than this. I felt the bruises from my father's slap and Lance's punch. Just great. 

I thought they loved me. Do I not matter? Apparently so. Then and there, I swore I would never return to Silent Harbour.