29.

Shawn.

I sat in the lobby of the women's clinic holding Beyoncé's hand. Her leg was bouncing out of nervousness and it was nothing I could do to stop it.

She's been quiet all morning, but I could understand why.

"Knowles." The lady called from the back.

As we walked back, I saw Rosario coming out of the door. We made eye contact, but she didn't say anything to me.

I wonder if Bey saw her too.

I brushed it off and acted like I didn't see her.

Nobody worried about her crazy ass.

For the rest of our time at the clinic, Beyoncé was very quiet. I know she's probably just worried about having a baby this young, but she needs to understand that I got us.

As I drove us back to my house, she rested her head on the window while she looked at her sonogram pictures.

"You hungry?" I asked taking a quick glance at her.

She nodded.

"Use your words, I can't keep looking at you while I'm trying to drive." I said playfully, but she didn't laugh.

"Yes, I'm hungry, Shawn. I want chick fil a please. Then I'd like a nap."

"Whatever you want, my Queen."

I was trying to cheer her up, but I guess she has to snap back to reality on her own terms.

I know it's scary because I'm scared too, but we always got each other.

I drove us to chick fil a and got her the nuggets and got the chicken sandwich for myself.

"Babe?" She called out.

"Wassup?"

"I'm scared."

I sighed. "I know you are, but you gotta understand I'm right here with you. I'm scared too, but we're all in this together."

She cracked a smile at my high school musical reference and it made me smile too. "I missed that smile, you been frowning all day."

"I don't mean to frown. I mean I am happy that I'm having your baby."

"I'm happy too." I said honestly.

After we ate we went to my house. As soon as I opened the door for her, she began to strip.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I picked up everything that she dropped on the floor.

"Thank you for coming with me to the appointment, I really appreciate you being here for me."

"You don't have to thank me, shawty. This my baby too, so you know I got you."

I got in bed next to her and she instinctively cuddled up to my chest.

"I never want to lose you." I said out of the random.

I meant it though. Just feeling her breath on my skin and her hand rub my stomach had me feeling high on life. A nigga is in love.

This beautiful woman, whom I thought I had lost, is now all mine and having my child... wow.

"You won't ever lose me, Shawn. I'm stamped for life."

I squeezed her tighter and we fell asleep.

• • •
1 month later.

I woke up to the sound of Beyoncé puking her guts out. I cringed, but figured I'd be a good man and help her out.

"You good, Bey?"

She shook her head. "I don't like this."

"I know, but it won't last forever."

It got quiet while she brushed her teeth and took her clothes off.

"Bey, we gotta let everyone know you're pregnant."

She sighed. "I don't want anybody judging me, babe. It's really nobody's business yet."

I rolled my eyes. I wanted to be so excited about having a baby, but she wouldn't even let me tell anybody. Like she was keeping it a secret for what?

"Nobody can judge you. You're grown and judging you won't change the situation."

"I'm just not ready to tell anybody, Shawn. Seriously."

"Okay, Whatever." I rolled my eyes and went back to the bedroom.

"Now you're mad?" She asked following after me.

"I'm not." I laid down and she stood in front of the bed with an irritated expression on her face.

"You are mad."

"How you going to tell me?"

"Because I know you. I'm reading your body language. You're rolling your eyes, you won't look at me, you're huffing and puffing. Need I go on?"

"Bey, I ain't mad. okay?"

She rolled her eyes and went back into the bathroom, slamming stuff.

I sighed. This whole month since we found out she was pregnant, we haven't been on the best of terms.

After a few minutes, she came from the bathroom and glared at me. I rolled my eyes and ignored her antics.

I turned on 2k and got online. I was playing 1 on 1 on 1 and I was winning.

I saw Bey out the corner of my eye, fully dressed.

"Where the hell you going?" I Double Taked, trying to still focus on the game.

"Out."

I sucked my teeth. "Do not act like that. You like 2 and a half months pregnant and I already can't deal with this attitude."

"Then don't."

"Ughhhh." I groaned obnoxiously. "Come here."

She ignored me and continued with her makeup.

"Beyoncé."

"What?"

"Come here."

"Looks like I'm busy, no?"

I shook my head and got up to get her. I pulled her towards me and she got real mad.

"You just made me fuck up my eyeliner!"  She yelled and swung on me.

I dodged it and grabbed her hand. "Is it really that serious?!"

"Yes, it is. Now get the hell off of me." She got a makeup wipe and wiped her entire face clean.

"I'm leaving." She announced before grabbing her purse and kissing my lips aggressively. "Bye."

Rolling my eyes, I started to talk to myself.

I don't know how long I can put up with this extra bull shit. I don't want this back and forth stuff to last all 40 weeks, because I cannot.

I played 2k all day and the hours were drifting by and I hadn't heard from Bey.

She was getting on my damn nerves, but I'm still going to check on my woman.

Picking up my phone, I found her name and called her. No answer.

I called her again... still no answer.

I tossed my phone down and continued to play the game until I felt my phone vibrate.

I thought it was Bey, but... it wasn't.

Rose 🌹: can I come over? I could really use a shoulder.