Chapter 58

Ella and I made our way down to the beach together. Her brown hair swayed in the wind as she made every effort to lighten my mood, but I just couldn't get Simon off of my mind. It seemed like things went really downhill between us very quickly. It bothered me and I itched to talk to him. If only I knew where he was.

"But hey, I have some news to share with you." Ella suddenly said, drawing my attention back to her. I saw a smile creeping onto her lips from the corner of my eye.

"What is it?" I asked. Her smile deepened and her eyes glimmered in the sunlight. I could tell she was super excited to tell me whatever it was she wanted to say.

"Vik finally asked me out." She blurted out and we both stopped walking.

My eyebrows rose to halfway up my forehead and I widened my eyes. My heart was beating out of control when I said, "Are you serious? It was about damn time!"

She laughed. "Yeah. He was super nervous to do it too. Later he told me that he practiced what he was going to say about a thousand times in the shower." She confessed and my heart practically melted. My knees felt weak. Vik was such a hopeless romantic and Ella was the perfect fit for him. They went together like peanut butter and jelly.

"When did he do it?" I felt euphoric for her.

"Last night, when we got back to the hotel. We ordered two glasses of champagne when we got to our room and enjoyed it on the balcony together. The cleaners left the TV on to play some romantic music, so it really couldn't have been better." Ella explained.

I rolled my eyes. "Vik is so sentimental. You two are so cute togethe—"

"Sorry to interrupt, but I think we might've just spotted your man." She said. We had come to the bottom of the hill and were about to step on the sandy beach. "Is that him?" She pointed to a silhouette stood by the shore, staring down at his feet.

I froze. "Y-yeah,"

"Well, I think you should go talk to him. I'll leave you to it. Good luck, and don't forget to breathe. I heard you get panicky quickly. I mean, I've witnessed it before. Don't worry, whatever happens, you'll be fine." She said and squeezed my arm as an act of reassurance. A nervous ache had already built up in my stomach as I nodded, watching her walk back up to her hotel.

I took my shoes off and walked across the sand with my bare feet, loving the relaxed feeling it gave between my toes. It was almost therapeutic. But my mind was still running, playing different scenarios of what is possibly about to happen. I didn't know how he felt, or what he would say, or what I would say. All I knew was that everything was my fault.

"Hey," I said when I reached him at the shoreline. Here, the wind blew strong, and pushed all of the hair out of my face. It was so strong that it nearly felt hard to breathe. Simon was squinting his eyes as he looked across the ocean at nothing in particular, his face set in a hard expression. He didn't look down at me once I approached him, and left his hands balled into fists dug inside the pockets of his sports shorts.

"Hey," he replied in a low voice. This did not get off to a good start.

"How-" I began, not really knowing where I was heading.

"We need to talk, don't we?" He interrupted, still refusing to look at me. My heart sunk further.

"Um, yeah." I pressed my lips together to form a fine line, trying to push down the nervous feelings that were threatening to rise up to the surface.