Chapter 44

I woke up to countless texts, a few missed calls, Instagram direct messages, tweets and comments that were all about the fact that The Modern released a new edition that was apparently relevant to me.

I groaned as I rolled over in my bed, trying to convince myself I was able to get another hour's sleep. It was a Sunday, and I knew that tomorrow I'd have to wake up early to go to a lecture. Please go to sleep. Please.

But it was no use. The messages kept coming in and making my phone vibrate on my nightstand until it eventually fell onto the wood floor and made a loud sound, making me jump awake. With a sigh, I leaned over the end of my bed, almost falling out, to pick up my phone and see what the hell was going on. Most of the comments on my most recent Instagram post and most of the tweets just asked me if I saw the latest The Modern edition, which didn't really help.

Then I figured I'd check my email. After my partnership with The Modern, I was pretty much forced to sign up for an account, and ever since, I received an email every time a new edition was released. My eyes widened in shock when I read one of the subtitles on the front cover of the magazine.

There was a giant picture of Ed on the front cover with multiple cameras hanging around his neck and two more in both his palms. Next to him, was a sentence I never thought I'd see, written in a big, red, bold font.

Photographer Ed Hours talks potential girlfriend Lucifer Williams!

I clenched my fists together and threw my phone on the floor again. There was absolutely no way The Modern decided to interview Ed after me, and there was no way they'd allow him to talk about me like this.

But then curiosity took over and I had to hang off the side of my bed again to pick up my phone and actually read what was written in the article.

"I went on a lunch date with her in December and it was really cute. She's actually quite the romantic. You know, we were flirting a lot and that. I think she's the 'touchy-feely' type. But then she suddenly stood up and left, because, you know, she's the type that makes you chase after her. I love that, personally."

I only noticed I was chewing my bottom lip when I tasted my own sour, metal blood. Although my heart was beating out of control, I had to continue reading. I had to let my rage out.

"And it's great because we both love photography. Well, she's an amazing photographer and and amazing model. That combination is hard to find. I think if we were to put our camera collection together we'd have over £50,000 worth of money, and probably over 150,000 photos."

"Where do I see us in the next five years? Well, I definitely see Lu dropping out of uni because she's got some modelling contract. Maybe Calvin Klein or American Apparel or something else like that. I'd be her photographer, obviously."

I turned around and screamed into my pillow. Then I got dressed as quickly as possible, and I was still pulling my jeans over my feet when I walked out into the corridor towards the kitchen. I stopped in my tracks when I saw Freya and Sarah leaning over the kitchen island, flipping through the very magazine that made me want to throw up. Surprisingly, Simon was there, too, reading everything with furrowed brows. I clenched my jaw and didn't say a word as I angrily took a glass out of the cupboard and put it down on the counter aggressively.

'I'm taking it you read the magazine?' Simon asked. I didn't say anything. I just grabbed some orange juice from the fridge and poured it into my glass, letting it spill over onto the counter and drip onto the floor. I was too angry to care, so I didn't clean it up.