Chapter 30

I was sat in the dressing room behind the main room, where my interview with The Modern would take place. Although they had initially said they wanted a photoshoot for the front cover, they said they'd like to interview me so they can have an article about me in the magazine, too. 

I was itching with excitement, but also shaking with nerves. I, of course, had never done something like this before. The closest to this I've come is being in Sarah's videos. 

'Are you okay? You look a bit pale,' Will said. He was sitting in the corner of the room, watching as a hairstylist finished braiding my hair, which was how it usually looked. I had brought Will with me because right now, he was the sole person who could help me with anxiety. Sarah and Freya said they'd be busy, anyway.

I nodded my hair carefully so to not mess up my hair. 'I'll be fine.' I told him. The interview was going to be filmed as well, for the magazine's YouTube channel. 

'Would you like a glass of water?' The hairstylist offered but I shook my head. I already drank loads at home to help with the nerves, but if I drank any more I'd piss myself during the interview. 

'So, tell me, Lu. What got you so interested in photography?' The interviewer asked, who's name I learned was Lydia. 

I sank back in the couch I was sitting on. There were bright lights standing either side of the cameraman who was filming us, making it very hot in this small room. It kind of looked like the camera setup Sarah had at home for her videos. I leaned my microphone against my chin as I thought. 

'When I was younger, my dad always had a lot of cameras. He had a big Nikon one, but I wasn't allowed to use it until I was about 14. So until then, I was allowed to take pictures with his smaller, what we would call vlogging cameras. I sometimes took pictures when we went on family holidays. When I turned 18, I got my own big camera, and that's where it really took off.'

'That's so nice. Nowadays, so many 18-year-olds want things like cars for their birthdays, but you were satisfied with a camera. That's cute.' She smiled exaggeratedly. That's cute? Not everyone gets a car for their 18th. I bet you drive a 1997 Twingo.

'Yeah, I guess.' I agreed awkwardly. 

'So, obviously, as we all know, your centrepiece for this edition is a picture of a young boy called Toddy. Could you explain who young Toddy is? I mean, is he a nephew, a cousin?' Lydia questioned. 

I had to force myself not to roll my eyes. 'Actually, I don't know Toddy that well. There was just one morning where I felt inspired to take some pictures, so I went outside with my camera and there was Toddy, with his two parents, at the local park. He's not related to me.' I answered. I didn't want to give too many details, scared that I'd have to explain why I was feeling inspired in the first place. I strictly told myself I'd keep Simon out of this, especially if it was being uploaded to YouTube. 

Without nodding or asking any more questions, Lydia jumped straight on the next one. 'What is Ed Hours like?' 

Oh, crap. 'Um, Ed is very talented and bubbly. He seemed very excited to meet me when I first did a photoshoot with him for the Sidemen clothing.' Well crap, there goes not mentioning Simon.

'Mhm, I see. Now, other than your photography, we also obviously need to know what is going on. Socially, I mean.' As soon as the words left her mouth, I felt the blood run cold in my veins. I braced myself for what was to come. 'So, what's your opinion on Will?' Then she turned to the cameraman quickly. 'For those of you who don't know, Will is a longterm friend of Lucifer. They became friends after meeting at university, where Will studies automotive engineering. Will is also a fellow Youtuber, going by the name Will N-E.'

It shocked me how much she already knew about Will. A little creepy, even. 

'Did Will ask you to ask me that question?' I laughed, seeing as Will was standing behind the cameraman, where it was dark so I could barely see him. I knew he was there though, and I bet he was smiling. Then I heard a laugh, which forced Lydia to laugh the most fake laugh with us.

Lydia then looked back at me with the most expecting, stern brown eyes I have ever seen. 'What do you expect me to say when he's right there?' I joked. When she didn't give me an answer, I continued. 'Well, um, he's nice, I guess...' I answered awkwardly, but I couldn't hold in my laugh when I heard Will trying to cover up his. 

'Alright. So my last question to you, Lucifer Williams, is; what's the situation like between you and Simon? Have you broken up, are you still together, are you still seeing each other?' She gave me options. 

In my mind I was going fuck you fuck you fuck you as I sank in the couch uncomfortably. Thoughts ran through my head as I looked for a good enough answer, but was brought back to reality when Will coughed awkwardly. 'I'd rather not answer that question.' I whispered. 

After the interview, which I think went terribly, I had a slight change of outfit. Being in front of the camera still felt awkward and wrong, especially when you're on your own. The camera man was nice though, much nicer than Lydia. 

'Do you have a signature pose at all?' Alex, the photographer asked. I thought for a second. 

'I don't think so?' I answered, making it sound like a question. 

'Her signature pose is smiling.' Will joked from behind Alex. 

Alex smiled. His black spiky hair stuck out from behind the camera. 'Right, give us your most amazing smile, then.' He asked, his finger hovering above the capture button. 

I turned to Will. 'Will, tell me something funny. I need to smile for real to have a good smile.' I reasoned. 

'I like that you ask him to make you smile. That's cute.' Alex said quickly, just as Will was about to crack a joke; I could tell from looking at his face. 

'I know. She smiles the brightest when she's with me.' Will replied with a smirk on his face, his green eyes shining in the dark. 

---

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the Q n A. From what I heard, a lot of you liked it. If you have any more questions for the characters, you can leave them in the comments. 

I've passed the point where I had draft chapters now. Basically, I have to write every new chapter from scratch now, so it might take a while for me to get the next chapter out. 

Random question out of curiosity: who ships Lu and Will?

Or Lu and Ed?

Lu and Alex?? 😂

OTHER IMPORTANT QUESTION: did I already mention in this book that Will also has a youtube channel?? or did I just leave him as a uni student? help I can't remember 😫

All the love

Mel xx