Depressing Poems to Read When You're sad

"A.J." I heard, the voice far away.

"A.J." It repeated, this time closer. "You need to come with me." I looked up, everything blurry.

What is going on? Why is Dad here?

"A.J, honey. She's gone, you need to let her go." He said, his voice sounding as if he was across a big meadow rather than right beside me.

She's gone? You need to let her go?

His words echoed inside my brain. I looked down at what I was holding. A pale woman, thin. Dead.

Mom?

I dropped the limp hand I was holding. It all came back to be now. I wiped the tears from my face, looking back up from my dad.

"Dad?" I cry.

He rushes up to me and wraps me up in a hug.

"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry." He says. I cry into his shoulder.

"I can't believe she's gone, Daddy. I miss her so much." I sob.

Memory after memory floods back into my brain.

The day we went to the park, her pushing me on the swing, then going for ice cream right after.

Her coming to eat lunch with my on my thirteenth birthday at school, how she brought a huge cake and presents for me and my friends.

How she would rock me back and forth after a nightmare or a tough day at school.

How yummy her dinners were, how soft her voice was. How she called my her little princess.

--

I didn't remember leaving the hospital to my father's house.

"Daddy?" I call out to him from the couch where I sat.

"Yes? Do you need something?" He came rushing in from the hallway.

"When did we come here?" I asked. He looked really worried then.

"We came back about two hours ago, Abby...." He trailed off, eyebrows curved in a worried look.

My mom was the only one who called me Abby. She liked it better than my nickname, A.J.

I started crying.

"Honey, what's wrong?" He said, swooping me up in his arms.

"Mommy only calls me Abby. Only Mommy!" I cry out over and over. I act ten years younger than my age.

"Ssh, honey, I won't call you Abby anymore, okay, A.J.?" He asks.

I shake my head back and forth. "Abby. I'm Abby now. Abby is Mommy's little girl. A.J. was Daddy's. Abby will be for Mom's memory." I said, confusing myself.

"Okay, Abby. Okay," He says. I climb out of his lap and finally notice what occupies his living room.

"Daddy why are there boxes everywhere?" I ask.

"Honey, we're moving." He says quietly. I stand, unmoved.

----

We pull into my old drive way.

"You need to pack your things," He says softly. I nod and head out of the car.

I climb up the porch steps and open the front door. The house looks so welcome, bright.

"We'll get everything else when we can," He says from behind me. I nod nonchalantly.

I mechanically walk up the stairs to my bedroom and start putting everything in boxes provided by my father.

"If you want, you can take some of your mother's things until we can get the rest," He suggests from the doorway after I'm finished. I nod and get up.

Once inside her room, I snap out of my little trance. I look at all the pictures we had together, and grab my favorite with us in the park, ice cream on our noses.

I head to her walk-in closet, where most of her things are stored. I head over to her jewelry box, since I can't fit in her clothes.

I pull out a necklace with a golden locket. I open the locket only to find it empty. I go to her bookshelf and look through her photo album, and taking out the most recent family portrait I could find, and cutting out her face the size of the golden heart. I stuck the picture in the locket and fastened it around my neck, and as I was putting the photo album away, I saw a light pink book that I've never seen before in my mother's room.

I pulled the book out.

"Depressing Poems to Read When You're Sad," it reads. Whatever my mom had this for, I was going to read it too. I left my mom's room and headed outside, where my dad had just out my last box in the bed of his truck.

"Ready Kiddo?"