Chapter 16

Nathan's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I roll my eyes up towards the clock thats positioned right above the whiteboard, sighing as the seconds tick by. I look around the room, watching the girls whisper about the Vortex party tonight. I may be the king of the Vortex club, but Victoria always sets up the plans. It's not like  was going to show up anyways.

Time seems to go by slow whenever I had to do something important, just like the past few times when I made plans with Noire. We actively plan little dates here and there, trying to keep up with each other in our relationship. 

Although, I've been feeling Noire has been growing distant; not returning my calls quick enough or text messages. Jefferson has been forcing me to keep my mouth shut about our little secret, as much as I want to tell Noire I can't. I'm afraid he'll do something terrible to me or even worse, Noire.

As the bell was about to ring I shoved my book and pencil into my bag and stood up, whipping out my phone to see if any text or call was made by Noire. None. I feel my shoulders slump in sadness as I made my way out the door. As I made my way through the hall I see people smiling and waving at me, greeting me like an old friend. I smiled halfheartedly, adjusting my bag.

I push open the heavy doors that lead to the outside feeling the autumn Oregon sun bathe my face. I squint as I see Noire sitting at the fountain, flipping through a notebook. I watch as she bites her lip, furrowing her eyebrows while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. I smile, thinking how lucky I was to have such a breathtaking girl to call mine. I quickly took notice to the vortex party poster between two pages as she flips through. 'Hmm, I didn't know she was going to that'.

I look at my phone to notice a text from Jefferson, telling to meet me in his class. I turn around and head back inside, not without stealing another glance at her. 

I enter his class. 

He's sitting at his desk, toying with his camera. The chairs stacking neatly upon each row of tables, classroom empty, I make my presence known. I clear my throat, watching as he set his camera down to swivel the chair towards me.

He folds his hands as he calmly says," You know Nathan, I always expect the most out of you. With your father being the pretentious prick he is, I took you under my supervision. Not because I pity you, but because I believe you can do great things. We could've done great things together, Nathan. I know you've been purposefully disobeying my orders."

I stood my ground, lips in a firm line as I narrow my eyes at him," I will not hurt Noire, Jefferson. I don't care what the fuck you do, but you will not force me to do your bidding anymore. I'm sick of all of this, I am done with your bullshit. I have been ever since Rachel!"

He slams his fist on the hard surface of the table, causing photographs to fall to the floor. He stands up, leering as he makes his way over to me. I back up against the door.

"You know what I'm capable of Nathan." 

I glance down at the floor and my eyes find the photos that fell from his desk. Photos of Noire. When we went into the pool house, me helping her with her hospital gown, photos of her in her room. With nothing but her bra and underwear. Before I know what I was doing, Jefferson was on the ground, groaning in pain as he holds his jaw. I grab the photos and dash out the door.

I had to find Noire. I was pretty certain she should be at the party tonight, remembering the flyer in her notebook. I checked the time, the party should start in 20 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the rain dances in unique unison against the pavement, I pull my hood over my head, making sure nobody was watching me. My gut tells me otherwise, as my eyes sweep over the tall trees and empty cars in the parking lot. I stalk across the asphalt and reach the driver's side door, reaching into my pocket to grab my keys. I jam it into the lock and get in, throwing my jacket into the seat next to me. I had about 10 minutes before everyone started arriving, my heart hammering in my chest. 

A loud thump against the window made me jump, as I look next to me I see Victoria outside the window frowning. I roll it down, light freckles of rain dot the car's interior.

She rolls her eyes and opens her thin, dark lips, "Nathan, you were supposed to meet me at the 2 Whales earlier so we can have our pre-party prep remember?" She moves her shoulders around in her oversized white parka, leather bag resting on her shoulder. She comes around to the other side of the car and gets in. 

"God, it's so wet out here that it's ruining my makeup," she mumbles. "Why are you sitting in your car?"

I grab her hands and she turns to me, alert due to my sudden movement. I close my eyes," Victoria, remember that time you and I were overseas during our summer of junior year? We were on that boat that you managed to seduce out of that Greek guy, and we took it all the way out past all the other islands? You told me, while we were watching the sunset, that you didn't just want to settle? I never knew what you meant, but recently I took your words into reconsideration. I want to leave Arcadia Bay. I don't want to wait for graduation, I want to just get out of town and never look back. Fuck my family and all of my ties and that fortune. It's never brought me anything but pain and tragedy. You have been such a great friend, 'Tori, but I can't handle any more of this. I've done something really bad, something I may have a hard time getting out of." I feel her hand graze my face, not noticing tears have made it's way down my cheek.

She smiles, her eyes full of sadness," I understand Nathan, I don't blame you. I will always support you, no matter what." 

I smile gratefully as I open my mouth, but a dark shadow looms across the dashboard, blocking the harsh light of the fluorescent lamp posts. My eyes widen as terror streaks across my face, as I see a silver barrel aim into our car. Victoria is staring at me in confusion but looks behind her. 

She puts her arms up to shield herself as a scream bubbles out of her, but the gun cocks and fires, the bullet embedding into Victoria's temple. Blood splatters all over her lap and against my face as she slumps forward. The door opens, and a leather gloved hand grabs her by her arm and pulls her out, her body flailing onto the wet pavement. 

I scramble out of my car to see Jefferson aim the gun at me and fires, barely dodging the bullet I run up the stone steps and into the front building of the school, bullets ricocheting off the walls around me. One barely grazes my shoulder as I suck in a scream of pain. I push open the double doors leading into the gym and pool, party decorations set up. People haven't began to arrive yet, but all the Vortex Club leaders were in the small office trying to fix the sound system.

I made my way through the boy's locker room, slowly just to be sure Jefferson couldn't trace my steps. I see the exit door, and stumble towards it. I look through the small window near the top of the door and see him get into his car. I hear music start booming behind me in the distance towards of the gym, and people clapping as they finally got the stereo to work. 

I look back outside to see him drive out of the parking lot, Victoria's blood obvious in his bloody handprint above the trunk. As soon as he left, I immediately push the doors open with the shoulder that wasn't injured and ran across the dewey grass. I curse loudly as I spot Noire, before almost crashing into her. 

She looks at me with worry," Nathan! What's wrong?" Her hand pressing into my cheek as I frantically whip my head around to make sure he didn't come back.

"I-I can't, i've got to go. I just want...I just want to let you know that I love you. So much," I choke out, my hands clutching her face as the light from the lamp posts flood down on her. ," If you ever feel sad, lonely, or lost, just remember me. Remember my eyes. Remember my lips. Remember my love."

My eyes start to gloss over, as I choke out the last few sentences.

"W-what do you mean? Are you leaving me?" Her hands go limp, seeing the color drain from her face.

I ignore the pain bubbling inside of my stomach, and swallow my sadness, "I have to. For you. If I don't, he'll come after you. I need to leave right now." I whisper intensely, before smashing my lips against hers, savoring the last few moments of a lingering kiss.

Before she could suck in a breath, I take off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WELL. FUCK. It's been 2 years since I've updated this story. I've been so busy with school, graduating high school and work that I completely forgot about this entire story. I hope my readers are still willing to read my story, after being MIA for 2 years skskkksk. Again, I'm so sorry and I promise that hopefully I'll start updating regularly again