Battle

For the first time in a long time, Demetria woke up amongst think blankets and plush pillows. Despite being a prisoner, she was still related to Miraz and that meant she was to be treated like royalty. A midnight blue dress sat on a nearby trunk. Slipping it over her head, she found she had missed wearing nice dresses. The sounds of men preparing for battle filled the air and brought her back down to reality. Somebody was to die today, whether it be Miraz or Peter, somebody would die today and she would be forced to watch. It was Glozelle that fetched her from her tent.

"Well look at you." He said tilting her chin up with his hand, it was like he was inspecting her. "Just as beautiful as your mother was. Much more spirited then her though."

"Remove your hands from me." Demetria commanded, leaving no room for argument. His hand dropped and he bowed.

"Yes, of course your highness." He said straightening then offered her his arm. She merely glared.

"Come now Princess Demetria." He said with a smile, "We are on the same side. We both dislike Miraz."

"Yes, but we have different approaches on how to handle him." Demetria said calmly, "You choose to scheme in secret, hiding like a cockroach beneath a rock." He glared at her before walking out of the tent, and she followed. Two horses awaited them, one a chestnut brown and the other white. Both were armored. Glozelle mounted the brown while Demetria hesitated to climb on the white. She was afraid of riding. Her mother had been killed by a horse. However, she pulled her courage together and mounted. Uneasily she nudged the horse into following Glozelle before they joined Miraz and Lord Sopesian.

"Ready my daughter?" Miraz asked and she glared.

"I am ready to see the Narnians emerge from this war victorious." She said and he laughed, armor clinking as his black horse shifted.

"Well, I am afraid you will never get to see that dream come true." He said and kicked his horse into a trot.

#

The two Kings met just outside of the hill, their armies cheering behind them. Demetria dismounted and immediately went to go speak with Edmund and Caspian, but Glozelle grabbed her by the wrist.

"Not yet." He muttered, and she nodded. Looking to Edmund he gave her a small sad smile. Glenstorm was there too, standing beside Peter. Caspian wasn't there. The tension in the air was thick and her peace and courage were quickly fading until she saw something out of the corner of her eye. The lion was prowling just beyond the tree line, his muscles rippling beneath his fur coat. He looked to her, their eyes met and she stood a little taller as peace, courage, strength, and hope blossomed inside of her. Miraz walked out to meet Peter halfway, sword drawn. They spoke to each other, quietly so that she was unable to hear before Peter jumped up on a boulder and down on Miraz, his sword hitting Miraz's shield. Blades clashed, again and again, the cheers of the armies becoming louder and louder with each blow. Demetria holds her breath until she saw that Glozelle was holding a crossbow.

"If you have any intention of using that," She nodded to him, "Just make sure you hit Miraz." He smirked and nodded. Demetria turned her attention back to the battle. Peter hit Miraz in the back. Miraz knocked off Peter's helmet, and then his coif. Peter swung low, cutting Miraz's leg. Miraz glanced at Glozelle, probably wondering why an arrow hadn't impaled Peter. Miraz swung, and Peter fell over but quickly recovered. Miraz tripped Peter, and then stepped on his shield. Peter let out a yell that made Demetria grimace. Miraz swung ag Peter's throat, but the young king rolled out of the way. Peter kept rolling and blocking until he stopped, tripping Miraz. Both quickly got up, breathing heavily. They must have agreed to rest for a moment because each went limping back to their side. Demetria turned and grabbed a bandage from a saddlebag and tossed it at Miraz.