Plan of Attack

Several minutes later they were all gathered in the room. Queen Lucy sitting on the table itself while others sat and stood in a circle around it and King Peter standing. Caspian stood next to Demetria, his fingers intertwined with hers comfortingly. Demetria hadn't missed the glance Edmund sent her when he had walked in, or the frown that flickered across his face at the sight of Caspian holding her.

"It's only a matter of time." King Peter said, "Miraz's men and war machines are on their way." He paused and she instantly made the connection.

"That means those same men aren't protecting his castle." She said and he looked to her and nodded.

"Exactly." He said,

"What do you propose we do your majesty?" Reepicheep asked from his spot next to a squirrel.

"We need to get ready for it." "To start planning for..." Caspian and Peter said it at the same time in a way that she wasn't sure who said what. The two boys glared at each other until Demetria spoke up. She spoke softly, but she still spoke.

"We need to strike them, before they strike us." She said and Edmund looked to her, his expression unreadable.

"Crazy." Caspian insisted, "No one has ever taken that castle."

"The Telmarines did." She muttered and all eyes were on her. "It was a Narnian fort built several years after you disappeared. I listened, and I learned." She explained and Edmund nodded slightly to her.

"We have the advantage of surprise." Trumpkin pointed out.

"And we have troops who can fly." She added, "Miraz's castle has one way in and one way out by foot, but not by air."

"But we have the advantage here." Caspian released her hand,

"If we dig in we could probably hold them off indefinitely." Queen Susan stepped forward and Demetria stepped aside to give her some more space. Caspian cast a glance at Queen Susan that as both confused and grateful.

"I, for one feel safer underground." Trufflehunter said.

"Well, I don't." Demetria muttered under her breath. She had spent too much of her life in the dark beneath the surface.

"Look, I appreciate what you've done here," Peter addressed Caspian, "But this isn't a fortress, it's a tomb."

"Can you name one other place we would able to hold out ground half as well?" She asked loudly, "You may have had the resources a couple centuries ago to build a fortress but we don't. We are doing what we can with what we have." He glared at her and then glanced at Edmund who just raised an eyebrow. While Demetria cared for Edmund, King Peter was getting on her nerves, but that was no excuse for the way she was acting.

"Apologies High King Peter." She dipped into a curtsy, "I should not have spoken out in the way that I did." She glanced up at him and he nodded. Rising she kept her gaze on her feet.

"If Miraz is smart, they'll just wait us out and let us starve to death." Edmund pointed out and she deflated slightly. He had a very good point. That was a flaw in their defenses.

"We could collect nuts." The squirrel over by Reepicheep said and the mouse glared at him.

"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines." He said sarcastically, "Shut up." Reepicheep looked to Peter, "I think you know where I stand, sire." All eyes went to King Peter. He seemed to think for a moment, and then turned to Glenstorm.

"If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?" He asked and the centaur stayed silent, his dark solemn eyes flicking towards Caspian's worried face.

"Or die trying, my liege." He said calmly, dipping his head. That's when Lucy spoke up, having been silent the whole time.

"That's what I'm worried about." She said and her brother turned to her. "You are all acting like we only have two options, dying here, or dying there."

"I don't think you've been listening Lu." Peter interrupted, and she glared for the first time since Demetria had met her.

"No, you're not listening." Lucy snapped, a tone in her voice that was also new. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch Peter?" Peter pressed his lips together and held his little sister's gaze.

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." He stated and walked out of the room, most following him. Demetria sighed as she crossed over to sit beside Edmund. They were silent for a moment, listening to the soft chatter of the few that remained.

"You did good." He said after a moment, looking at her and she smiled slightly.

"Thank you," She said, "I still shouldn't have spoken the way I did though."

"Nah." He shook his head, "Peter needed to hear that." Demetria watched as the last few troops left the room leaving her alone with Edmund.

"You'll be careful tonight right?" She asked, placing a hand on his knee. He smiled softly at her, something in his eyes she couldn't read.

"Of course." He said, nodding.

"And can you keep an eye on my cousin for me?" She asked frowning, "Caspian is good, but he doubts this whole thing will work."

"Wait," Edmund frowned. "Caspian is your cousin? That means..." He groaned and stood, raking his hands through his hair. "Miraz is your father?" Demetria grimaced at the word father, but nodded.

"Sadly, yes." She whispered and Edmund kicked a nearby stone before turning to her with a steady glare.

"You lied to me." He almost growled it.

"Nobody besides you and Caspian know." She said standing.

"You still lied." He said

"Everyone hated Telmarines enough!" She yelled it, then taking a few deep breaths she spoke again calmer and quieter. "Everyone hates them, and everyone hates Miraz. It wouldn't do any good for them to know." Edmund paced for a moment, his hand on the hilt of his sword while his other was on his forehead.

"I need to go." He muttered walking out of the room. Hurt, shame and just a touch of anger towards Miraz filled Demetria's body and she leaned against the table. She was such a fool to think that anybody would accept her, that anybody understand that her linage was not her fault. Hanging her head she wiped away a few stray tears and when she looked up, the lion was sitting next to her. The same peace she had felt when she first met him was still there and when she reached out to touch him, it filled her body.

"Do you think if the others knew, it would make things worse?" She asked.

"Secrets don't always make things better." He said, his golden eyes resting on her in a way that made her own gaze drop. It was like he was looking into her very center, like he could see the storm that was brewing in her heart.

"If word got out about it," She muttered, "then we might lose the troops. And I could easily lose my life." His gaze was still on her. "But if Miraz was the one to tell them, then we would lose them for sure, and hence loose the battle. And is my life worth the life of hundreds of others?"

"Tell me." Her eyes went back up to him as he spoke, "Do you love any of those here?"

"Yes." She couldn't seemed to stop herself from saying it, she wanted to tell him everything. "I love Caspian, Glenstorm, and...." She hesitated, "Edmund."

"Then know this." He said his voice rumbling, "No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends. If you tell them and 'if the world hates you, understand that it hated Me before it hated you.'" She nodded, and he leaned forward and gently touched his nose to her forehead. A mix of things flooded her body and soul and made her feel as if she was floating. Peace, hope, courage and love. Closing her eyes, Demetria just let it flow, breathing out the hurt and anger till it was completely gone. Opening her eyes, she found the lion was gone, his name still unknown to her. Standing, she knew she would need to tell the others before things got worse.

John 15:13

John 15:18