A Bit of a Scare

Demetria woke up to darkness, so much like the one she hated. Heart racing she scrambled to her feet, hardly aware of Edmund beside her. A cold sweat broke out across her skin as she started to shake. She needed sunlight. Needed to feel a breeze on her face, to gulp in fresh air. Nausea began to overtake her as she ran. A maze of tunnels met her, and she kept going until she stumbled out onto the grass. Doubling over she vomited. Bile burned her nose and throat as she gave up her pitiful breakfast of eggs. Once her mouth was clear she swallowed in big gulps of air. Fresh, rain-washed air. Somebody's hand rested on her shoulder and she looked up at Edmund. He was breathing hard and she realized he had chased after her.

"Are you okay?" He asked helping her to her feet.

"I...I thought for a moment...that...that I was back in the...prison." She gasped shakily. He nodded, rubbing her back with one hand and tucked piece of hair back from her face with the other. That one rested on her face for a moment, cupping her cheek. Then it fell away and he smiled lightly.

"I'm going to go get you some water, you stay here okay?" He asked and she nodded, her skin burning where he had touched her. It still sent a rush through her body, knowing that her cared her the way she cared for him. Sitting down on a nearby stone, she pulled her hair back in a basic braid and tried to breath. The breeze felt good, and cooled her warm skin. Edmund came back with Caspian at his side.

"Demetria," Caspian sat down next to her as Edmund passed her a cup of water. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," She nodded after sipping the water, "I just had a bit of a scare." He nodded and hugged her close. Edmund sat next to her, resting his elbows on his knees and hand clasped together. He looked around, something stirring in his eyes. Demetria considered asking, but decided against it with Caspian sitting beside her.

"Why now?" Caspian asked and she frowned, her eyes skimming over the horizon.

"Up until now I always had one or two candles burning in my quarters." Demetria said, "I woke up and it was completely dark..." Edmund nodded before reaching over and grabbing her hand, intertwining her fingers in his. Caspian must have noticed because he frowned slightly. They sat there in silence for a few minutes, watching the way the grasses bent beneath the wind. It was her who spoke first.

"Do...do you think Miraz will be here soon?" She asked and they had no answer. It was stupid question anyways, Miraz would get to them as quickly as possible. She should have never opened her mouth. Chewing her lip she looked out across the land.

"I'm sorry." She muttered quietly, and Caspian looked to her as he frowned.

"For what?" He asked,

"I shouldn't have sided with Peter." She said and Edmund sighed.

"It's not your fault." He said, and Caspian nodded. Demetria pressed her lips together.

"Yes, but somebody needs to take responsibility for it." She said, sting a glance at Caspian and he grimaced slightly. He knew what she was talking about. How he had blamed Peter and how Peter had blamed him when they returned. Caspian looked to her bandaged hands and frowned a little more, a storm in his eyes.

"I should go see how Riverracer is doing."Demetria muttered standing