Moonlight Meeting

By the time they had gathered the remaining Narnians together that night, she had heard nearly every possible story of the Narnians. She found dwarves were skilled with their hands and with their bows. Fauns were blessed with music and dancing alongside the dryads and nymphs. Centaurs were loyal, courageous, honorable and handy with their blades. Mice were honorable, minotaurs were short tempered and pure muscle. Then all the animals had their own personality, though squirrels had a tendency to be chatterboxes. But she saw the worst of all the Narnians at the gathering as they hurled bitter and angry insults at her and Caspian, claiming them to be liars, thieves, and murderers. Demetria was glad they had not mentioned her linage to any of them save Trufflehunter, Nickabrik and Glenstorm. Else she would have been dead three minutes after the first arrived.

"Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken?" Somebody yelled, she couldn't tell who in the flickering torch light.

"Our homes!" She spun in the direction of the voice, "Our land! Our freedom!" She looked in another direction. "Our lives! You stole Narnia!" there were shouts of agreement at that one.

"You would hold us accountable for the crimes of our people." Caspian grabbed her hand. He was just as nervous as she was. Casting a glance at Glenstorm, she asked a silent question before raising her voice to speak.

"You are holding us accountable for things that didn't even happen in our life time!" Demetria proclaimed. The cries seemed to falter for a minute but quickly resumed. It was hard to listen to. The yells of a broken and scattered people. A people her ancestors tried to destroy.

"Accountable..." Nickabrik said, "And punishable."

"Ha!" Reepicheep's voice rang clear, "That is rich coming from you, dwarf. Have you forgotten it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch?"

"And I'd gladly do it again." Nickabrik said, "If it would rid us of our barbarians."

"Then it's lucky that it is not in your power to bring her back." Trufflehunter stood, favoring his wounded leg. "Or are you suggesting that we ask this boy to go against Aslan now?" There were some yells from those around them and Trufflehunter continued. "Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well...that Narnia was never right except for when a Son of Adam was King."

"He's a Telmarine!" Nickabrik said, stating the obvious. "Why would we want him as our king?"

"Because I can help you!" Caspian cut in before somebody else could speak.

"It's a trick!" Somebody accused.

"Just hear him out!" Demetria said, and he continued.

"Beyond these woods, I am a prince." He said and she almost slapped the back of his head, great, tell them that he is important to the people they wanted to kill. "The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine! Help me take it, and I can bring peace between us." Glenstorm stepped forward.

"It is true. The time is ripe." He said, looking around the circle. "I watch the skies, for they are mine to watch as it is yours to remember, badger. Tarva, the lord of victory, and Alambil, the lady of peace, have come together in the high heavens. And now here, a Son of Adam has come forth... to offer us back our freedom."

"Is it possible?" A squirrel spoke up, "Do you really think there could be peace? Do you? I mean really?"

"Two days ago," Caspian answered, "I didn't believe in the existence of talking animals, or dwarves, or centaurs. Yet here you are, in strength in numbers, we Telmarines could never have imagined. Whether this horn is magic or not." He held up Queen Susan's horn. "It brought us together, and together, we have a chance to take back what is ours." He paused, looking to Glenstorm.

"If you will lead us." Glenstorm said, reaching for his sword, "Then my sons and I offer you our swords." He pulled it from its sheath and held it out like a torch. It seemed to set off a chain reaction as everybody drew their swords. It took her breath away, this silent pledge to fight. It was beautiful the spirit that was in this people. It was a spirit she had never seen in her own people. Reepicheep said something and then Trufflehunter said something else, but it was Caspian's voice that brought her back to reality.

"If we are to be ready for them, we to hurry to find soldiers and weapons." He said,

"The squirrels." She muttered, "They know every inch of these woods, you want soldiers, send them."