Battle Plans and a Chase

"So let me get this right." Demetria rubbed her forehead as she looked at the horn that was resting on the table. "This horn belonged to Queen Susan the Gentle, and was-is supposed to summon her and her brothers and sister, back to Narnia to save you all from the Telmarines alongside the person who blows the horn." Badger nodded, and she looked to Caspian who at the moment looked frightened and confused.

"Well." She ran her fingers through her loose hair as she sighed, "Where do we start?"

"What?" Caspian asked looking at her.

"You blew the horn." Demetria said, "The Kings and Queens are supposed to be on their way and even if they're not, these people -and animals- have a right to the land our people stole. It may seem daunting Caspian, but this is the responsibility you have now been given. So" she raised an eyebrow, "Where do we start?"

"We should wait for the kings and queens." Badger said. "Then gather the armies."

"Why not have the armies ready for them when they get here?" She asked, "Train them, get ready for the battle we all know will come." When Caspian sent her a confused look she shrugged then said, "Miraz had me tutored in case he didn't end up with a son. I am smarter than most would think."

"I still don't know your name." Nikabrik said and she attempted a smile,

"Demetria." She said and Badger nodded.

"Trufflehunter." He said and she smiled a little brighter. It seemed to suit him.

"Alright." Caspian nodded, "we'll gather them together to tomorrow, and see what happens." Trufflehunter and Nickabrick frowned but nodded.

"I'm going to bed." Demetria said as she stood. "Goodnight." Then pausing as she passed by Caspian she whispered into his ear. "Do you think it would be paranoid of me to sleep with a knife under my pillow?" He chuckled and nodded,

"Yeah." He said before reaching up and hugging her. "Sleep well."

#

Caspian came into the room a little later and lay down on the bed. Demetria rolled over onto her side to look at him.

"What happened?" He muttered, "Where did you go?"

"I was rotting away in the dungeon below the castle." She said, "Don't know how I didn't see it coming. Ten year old me was really stupid." He chuckled lightly at that.

"You were still smarter than me." He said, and she could see him smile in the dim light.

"I didn't have classes like sword fighting, archery and battle strategies to distract me from the sciences, history and languages." Demetria pointed out. "I also had to work hard at my studies in the little hope I had that Miraz would approve of me."

"Yeah, well that never happened for either of us." Caspian said.

"Illud est quod est." She muttered mostly to herself before drifting off.

#

The forest was quiet, peaceful, and so very, very green. It was all so fresh and alive. A breeze pushed through the woods as Demetria followed Caspian through the woods. Trufflehunter and Nickabrik were lagging behind, grumbling about not waiting for the queens and kings. They seemed to be attempting to be quiet but she could still hear them. A smile crossed her lips as Caspian paused to point it out and Trufflehunter confirmed that they were grumbling about not waiting. She wasn't really paying attention until Nickabrick said something about minotaurs. At that she spun around to face him. Crouching down she placed her hands on his shoulder and looked him in the eye.