Come Back

Demetria found Edmund a little bit later as he was pulling on the leather armor that she had seen the other troops wear. He ignored her as he buckled it, but there was a look in his eyes that said he knew she was there. Hesitating in the doorway, Demetria fidgeted with her hair before she spoke.

"I told your brother and sisters." Her voice was soft. He glanced at her.

"You serious?" He asked and she nodded, before grabbing his sword off the hook where it hung and bringing it over to him.

"Yes," She nodded, "Susan was speechless, Lucy said it didn't matter and Peter just glared at me the way he does at Caspian."

"Susan? Speechless?" Edmund raised an eyebrow as he took the sword from her and tied the belt around his waist. Demetria nodded and he snorted, "That's a first."

"You'll be careful tonight won't you?" She asked softly and he looked to her.

"That depends, do I have somebody worth coming back to? Besides my family that is." He asked and Demetria gaze dropped to her feet. Would now be the time to tell him? She looked up at him from beneath her lashes as a blush reached her cheeks. Edmund wasn't smiling, he was studying her.

"I-" She opened her mouth to say how she felt about him, but what came out was different then she intended. "I can only hope that you do." Then, "What would make any girl worthy of your affections?"

"Honesty." He said and she got the message.

"Yes, Miraz is my father by his first marriage." She started to explain, "My mother died not long after I was born. Miraz wanted a son because a daughter is not a suitable heir for Telmarines. He had me tutored until I could tell him the entire history of the Telmarines in Latin and add up every possible combination of numbers. Then, in his shame of me, he locked me in the castle's prison for the last five years. I spent everyday reteaching myself all that I had learned and speaking with fellow prisoners until the executioner came for them. Caspian's teacher came and freed me the same night he helped Caspian escape." Tears were streaking down her face by the time she was done. Never in her life had she been laid everything out like that. Edmund's eyes never left her face and he seemed to be satisfied that she had told the truth because he stepped forward and hugged her. It was so strange, the warmth of his embrace.

"Five years." He muttered, "You were in prison for five years just because you weren't born a boy." Closing her eyes she nodded slightly.

"Well," Edmund stepped back but kept his hands on her shoulders, "while I am not happy about the prison part, I am glad you aren't a boy." He said it then the next second Demetria felt his lips pressing against hers. It took her by surprise, but a second later her arms wrapped themselves around his neck as she kissed him back. His arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her close. Butterflies did flips in her stomach while fireworks went off in her mind and every thought was gone. It took a minute for anything to come to mind after they broke the kiss.

"Do you have somebody worth coming back to?" She muttered her eyes now open and locked with his. He chuckled, his smile and eyes warm with happiness.

"I think I do now..." a pause, "I love you." He said and she smiled brightly.

"I love you too." She whispered, and he pressed a kiss against her forhead.

"I should go." He said as he pulled away. She nodded

"Just be careful." Demetria begged as he grabbed his shield. He smiled as he passed her on his way to the door.

"I'll try." He said and walked out with one last glance at her over her shoulder.