Chapter 10

-Flashback: 'Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon'-

Just before the dynamite explodes; Pikachu gets free, panics, and blasts the dynamite with Thunder Shock. The resulting explosion causes a rip in the canyon ground, and both Ash and Team Rocket fall through.

The opening is then covered with rocks. Misty and Brock run up, and, with the lone survivor, Squirtle, begin digging Ash out. Underground, Ash and Team Rocket come to.

After Team Rocket and Ash blame each other for the explosion, they start trying to figure out a way out. Pikachu, however, notices some red eyes in the dark shadows. It seems that the explosion awakened some prehistoric Pokémon.

They are: Kabuto, Kabutops, Omanyte and Omastar - and are really cranky. Team Rocket tries to capture them, because they are thought to be extinct and have never been seen alive, but these Pokemon aren't in the mood.

The Omastars, Kabutos, and Omanytes proceed to wipe the ground with Team Rocket, and Ash has to run for his life when Charmeleon refuses to battle two Kabutops. Plus, Pikachu's electricity is ineffective. On the surface, the excavation project is going slowly. Officer Jenny shows up announcing that the bulldozers can't get this far down into the canyon, but she promises to go get some help.

Brock then calls out Geodude, and they start digging again. Misty thought, 'Please, Ash. Please don't die on me!'

But she whispered, "Ash, you better be okay. You still owe me a bike."

Underground again, Team Rocket is getting beaten up pretty badly, and Ash is cornered by the Kabutops, when all of the sudden they all disappear into the dark recesses of the cave. Team Rocket gets up and rejoices, but Ash hears something else coming out of the dark. It's an Aerodactyl, and it too is pissed off.

It's prehistoric, its hungry, it's a carnivore, and it thinks it has stumbled upon dinner...Ash and Team Rocket. Charmeleon tries to battle it, thinking he's hot stuff, but gets knocked out as soon as Aerodactyl hits him. Aerodactyl grabs Ash just as Misty and Brock break thru.

Aerodactyl flies up out of the opening to the underground. It lands on a high rock, and proceeds to prepare Ash for supper. However, Charmeleon, who really wants to battle Aerodactyl, evolves into Charizard and forestalls Aerodactyl's dinner plans. Aerodactyl flies off, and Charizard gives chase.

Charizard can't catch up to Aerodactyl, and when he fire blasts Aerodactyl, he gets Ash burned as well. On the ground, Jigglypuff makes an appearance. Misty coaxes a song out of it. Jigglypuff starts singing, and everyone starts to nod off, including Aerodactyl and Charizard.

Misty didn't plan ahead real well, because if Aerodactyl falls asleep in midair, Ash has a mighty long fall to look forward to. Charizard keeps his fingers in his ears to stop the effects of Sing just long enough to catch Ash and land. Aerodactyl falls from the sky back into the underground cave.

The concussion from it hitting the ground closes the opening back up with rocks. After everyone wakes up, Jenny clears everyone out of the canyon, and announces there will be no more digging.

-End of Flashback-

...

Pastoria City

Misty looked upon those events from years ago. She just wished that she had the confidence to tell Ash how she feels. Misty looked out the window and saw Ritchie and Ranee battling. Infernape was on the back of Charizard.

Ranee commanded, at the top of her lungs, "Infernape, Fire Blast!"

Infernape barely managed to open its eyes but when it heard its trainer yelling a command, it opened its mouth. Zippo didn't have a chance to dodge it and went down to the ground. Infernape got off of Zippo's back as the Fire/Flying type got to its feet.