Chapter 2

Sinnoh Region

Paul Shinji just woke up from a restful night's sleep, mostly from dreaming about his girlfriend Ranee Katina. He wanted to kiss her, hug her, and cuddle her so badly. But so much had changed since they both left Veilstone City about nine years ago.

Paul started with Turtwig and went with Reggie during his Kanto Battle Frontier challenge. Of course, Paul saw that Reggie lost and vowed revenge for him.

Ranee, however, started with Chimchar. She went to Johto to start her journey to become - not only a Pokémon Master - but Top Coordinator as well. That's why he liked contests mostly was because of her.

Paul rubbed his eyes and stretched, he was actually at the Pokémon Center from his recent battle. He decided that some rest and relaxation were in order. Well, before he headed home to his brother.

Paul was praying to Arceus that Ranee was there or on her way. The mauve haired trainer gathered his things and got his Pokémon back from Nurse Joy.

She told him, "You're Pokémon had a restful night's sleep and are ready to go."

Paul replied, in his usual demur, "Thanks very much."

Paul took his Pokeballs and headed out. The minute he got outside, he noticed all of the dark clouds in the sky. Paul thought, 'Looks like rain,' as he shoved his hands in his pockets and headed on his way. Going from town-to-town alone was boring but it was much faster.

Just then, the mauve haired trainer came across a Pokémon battle. It was Barry (at least that's what Paul thought his name was) and Conway. Barry was using Empoleon and Conway was using Heracross.

Barry commanded, "Empoleon, Drill Peck!"

Conway countered, "Heracross, Aerial Ace!"

Heracross was fast but Empoleon was faster. Drill Peck hit first as Heracross went down first. Paul reasoned that the battle was longer before he got there. Barry was psyched.

Barry gushed, "Awesome job Empoleon!"

"Empoleon." Empoleon said.

Conway merely returned Heracross, said nothing, and left.

Paul went over to Barry and commented, "Either he's pathetic or you are getting stronger."

Barry turned around as Paul and replied, "Well, of course I'm getting stronger. I want to become the greatest Pokémon Master."

Paul pointed out, "You have competition, you know."

Barry nodded and responded, "Yeah and that's the best part. You can get stronger by challenging others!"

Paul shrugged, "That is true."

Barry challenged, "So, wanna battle?"

Paul answered, "Sure, why not."

Barry stated, hyper, "Awesome!"

Paul warned him, "But we'll make this one-on-one, alright."

Barry replied, "That's fine!" He turned to Empoleon and asked, "You up for another battle?"

"Empol!" Empoleon said as it stood strong and ready.

Paul took a poke ball and threw it.

He yelled, "Torterra, stand by for battle!"

With a flash of light, the Content Pokémon appeared.

"Terra!" Torterra said.

Barry was stoked now. He was really looking forward to battling Paul again.